We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Beaches???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Private Beaches???

Hi,

My husband and I are literarally minutes away from booking into Ocean 15 in/near St Lawrence's Gap.

A friend of mine mentioned last night that her Mother was in Barbados about 10 years ago and she got the impression that her Mother was quite disappointed as it seemed like a lot of the beaches were private?

Is this true? My husband and I do like the beach and swimming quite a lot and would be very disappointed if it was highly restricted for us.....any help appreciated!

Thanks!

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Beaches???

There are no private beaches on the island...this has been government policy.this is why Sandals have not appeared on the island as they wanted private beaches. Access to the beach is a right for all on the island.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for St. Lawrence Gap
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Beaches???

Not a single beach is private, that is fact !

You can walk on any beach you wish, yes one or two are only accessible from the sea but i doubt you want to visit every beach. The beaches were you are are easily accessible so no problems there.

Lancz
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Beaches???

I forgot to add ..book with confidence that you can access any beach..including the one at Sandy Lane and other top class hotels.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,778 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Beaches???

dublingirlinrome

I could understand why your friend's mom would have felt that way, as some properties, particularly on the West Coast try their best to make the beaches infront their properties as secluded as possible by placing huge boulders etc on them.

Feel free to visit ANY beach, ANY where on this amazing island.

Regards

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Beaches???

Dont want to put you off , but most rooms at Ocean 15 surround a small pool and bar area where most nights they have loud music ( karaoke / dj etc) until well after midnight on quite a few nights of the week . If you want all out relaxation it might not quite be the ideal place . IMO.

The beach at Dover though is fantastic.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 14:06
Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Beaches???

Not fully accurate Sunworshiper. Firstly, you state that it's loud music on most nights and in the same sentence say it's quite a few nights. Kind of confusing, and not totally correct. There is karaoke on two nights and Jazz on one night. During my week there the music stopped before midnight. While it has been reported by some that music carries on after midnight, to categorically state that is fact, is unfair to Ocean 15.

You are correct however in that the rooms surround a small pool which includes a swim up bar. The pool area is quiet all day until about 9pm. Lots of time for relaxation if indeed that is what they want. Perhaps they will be active participants in the entertainment.

South Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Beaches???

I can fully guarantee that it went on well after midnight . We stayed across at O2 at the end of October , and could hear it in our room . I even went over because it was busier than the Gap Bar . Ive no need to lie and no way want to pull Ocean 15 down .

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Beaches???

Most if not all Commonwealth countries/former colonies have public lands/beaches as a 'gift' from Queen Victoria. It is known as the Queen's chain, a 22-yard (20-metre) strip at the edge of our rivers, lakes and the sea, owned by the Crown and usually available to the public for recreational purposes. So unless Barbados, Canada, Australia, Belize etc. change the laws (and that is VERY doubtful) all beaches, lakes, rivers and Crown land are public and can not be owned. Not the same in the States.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Beaches???

Correction... Crown land can be sold.

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Beaches???

But Sunwisher I'm not suggesting that music is never loud after midnight, just your unsolicited advice that is occurred on most nights, however as I was not there it might have been as you say. Interestingly, none of the reviews on TA mention loud music on most nights and the one review for a stay in October doesn't mention any noise. One would think that at least one of the guests staying at Ocean 15 during the same period of time as your stay in O2 would have more reason to comment about the noise. I repeat, I'm not saying it wasn't loud after midnight while you were there, but I believe it unfair to state it was on most nights. By the way, my comments in no way condone loud music after midnight. Ocean 15 should put a stop to this or they might suffer as a result.

Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap