We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Barbados?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Barbados?

Hi

We are considering hiring a car in Barbados and we were wondering what driving is like? We have to get from the airport to our hotel in the GAP-would this be tricky? Would we better getting a taxi to our hotel and getting the car dropped off the next day?

We want to be able to go around and explore and we are not really into having to get 2 buses to get where we want to go. (I'm pregnant so we are trying to take it easy). Are the roads pretty quiet? Are there motorways/highways? What are the other drivers generally like?

Many thanks for your help!

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,326 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Barbados?

I would definitely recommend just jumping in a taxi to get to your hotel. Much less stressful after a very long journey! Get your car delivered early the next morning.

Driving is very easy and the drivers are very courteous. Traffic can get a bit congested at rush hours, morning and afternoon.

You will get to see much more of the island having your own vehicle and seeing as you are pregnant then it is a much better option than jumping on very crowded buses in the heat.

Have a great time.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,853 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Barbados?

dublingirlinrome

I agree about having the car delivered the next morning. It's only $31 BBD (£10) for a taxi to St. Lawrence Gap. You'll find driving in Barbados to be an experience. Just take your time, use your maps and do as much exploring as you wish.

Several roads within the immediate vicinity of St. Lawrence Gap are very busy, particularly Highway 7 which runs along the south coast. Drivers are mostly courteous, but not all. There are several highways around the island.

Hope this helps

Regards

Barbados
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Hi! Getting a taxi to the hotel is the easiest thing. Maybe you should check to see if the hotel you are staying at has a resident taxi service, where they could book a meet & greet and have the taxi waiting at the airport. They might also be able to arrange your car hire if you haven't booked directly.

Driving in Barbados is very easy, just be mindful of the traffic times, which are mainly between 7:30-9:00 a.m. and around 5:00-6:00 pm.

Have a great trip!

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,207 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Barbados?

The easiest and least expensive way to your hotel is by taxi from the airport.

If you book via your hotel you will pay a premium.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Driving on the left, good highways, roundabouts (named after famous cricketers !) and maps which are not too bad, all make for fairly easy driving once you are out of Bridgetown. Once out in the countryside the road signs have a habit of disappearing - you come to a crossroads and its anyones guess ! You may find the odd pothole too so go steady. Would def get a taxi from airport though.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Agree with taxi on arrival then get car delivered to hotel. If you are having a car for the full trip, you can drop it off at the airport on your way home.

Re driving you are from Ireland so you should have no problems.

Re maps as has been said these are very helpful......... for fanning to keep you cool!

Getting lost is part of the fun in Barbados and you cant be lost for too long as the Island is so small.

Port Rowan, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Hi, I would definitely recommend having a car. We had a friend pick us up at the airport.....it would have been overwhelming otherwise. You have the benefit of being used to driving on the left....it was a whole new thing for me.....but after a month, I was quite proud of myself! It was great to have a vehicle. One hint, if you want to tour around, we found that the roads were much quieter on Sundays. The drivers are more courteous than here in Canada ( for the most part). We took our GPS with us...downloaded the Barbados map....it worked Great! Especially for the round-a-bouts? Good luck. Enjoy your visit. We will be back next January all being well. Watch out for the potholes!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Good tip about driving on a Sunday - plus there are plenty of people tending their gardens - you can stop and ask for directions ( that bit is just for the ladies - we all know men never need to stop and ask ......)

Edited: 16 April 2013, 14:06
Buzzards Bay...
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Barbados?

Get a car at the airport. The roads in an around the airport are nice and wide, a good place to get use to driving. I've rented both ways and I find picking it up at the airport and dropping off there much easier. If you're going to rent a car anyhow then why would you pay for a taxi? Makes no sense to me.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
258 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving in Barbados?

I would say if you land during the day get a car from the airport, if you land in the evening get a cab and get your car dropped off at your hotel. On your return do drop the vehicle at the airport at this point you will know the roads very well. Have a great trip.

Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap