We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Hi guys

First time to Barbados in January and really looking forward to it. Just a bit confused about the currency to bring. We are staying at The Southern Palms and we are not sure if we should bring Barbados Dollars, US Dollars or UK Pounds. I have read that there is no bank but plenty of ATM's. I generally like to have my spending money with me rather than use ATM's but if this is the better option, will go with it.

Any advise appreciated.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Don't bother with Barbados dollars - US dollars are accepted everywhere although you will always be given change in Barbados dollars. (US$1 = BDS$2) We take enough to start us off and then use ATMs. Much quicker, simpler and more secure than queuing at bank to exchange UK pounds into local currency.

Make sure you have some of your dollars in smaller denominations for tipping the Redcaps who help you with your luggage from the arrivals hall to whatever transport will take you to your accommodation. The going rate is US$1 per case though we usually round it up.

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

Thank you. US Dollars it is and will make sure we have lots of funds in the bank!

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

We have learned to have what we call a 'travel account' with it's own ATM card. We make sure there is enough cash in it to cover us while vacationing, we notify the bank that we will be using our bank/debit and credit card in Barbados for the months that we are there and use only that account. That way IF your card is compromised only the cash in your travel account will be at risk and not your chequing or savings account.

lancashire
Level Contributor
64 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

Thats a great idea, Thank you. Only 9 weeks to go now, can't wait.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

Definitely either USD or £s as the exchange rate to BDS$ is pants in the UK. I take USD and keep them in the safe then don't need to go to the bank or ATM at all, but I realise this isn't everyone's first choice.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

I'm with Kirimist. Take US dollars, keep in safe and take out as required.

7. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap