We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The weight of your luggage

Fort St-John BC
Level Contributor
644 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The weight of your luggage

To know the right weight of your luggage can be a bit tricky, here what we do, we usually start packing two weeks before our holiday and when our luggage is packed, then we go to the local airport and have it weight right there and gives us the correct weight and then we do know if we can pack more or remove some and we also check our carry on luggage for size and weight.

So, no surprise at the airport.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The weight of your luggage

So why not do it the easy way? Pack your bag, pick it up, stand on bathroom scales, put bag down, subtract the 2 weights. Presto you know your luggage weight. Save the petrol, airport parking and aggravation. Unless you are an anorak and like looking at planes.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The weight of your luggage

We use a fish scale that's good for up to 75lbs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The weight of your luggage

LOL, I use a bathroom scale (from Ikea) both here and in Cuba. My Casa in Havana has an Ikea scale and what I do is put the suitcase on the scale and start packing to come home and keep adding cans of Buccanero, Cristal and Piña until I'm at max weight coming home as well.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The weight of your luggage

While we are on the subject of luggage, does anyone else use vacuum bags, I think they are the best investment we ever made, you can shrink 2 weeks worth of clothes to 2 inches, our clothes used to be what we found space for when everything else was packed LOL. It doesn't help with weight, but boy can we cram a lot of stuff into that suitcase now. We have a problem keeping it under 60lbs which is the maximum they will handle at the airport.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
594 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The weight of your luggage

I havent used space bags for that reason - if you can get more in your luggage will be over weight. We have also bought smaller cases as the big ones end up weighing too much.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The weight of your luggage

Yea, sometimes you can't win, but generally we find them invaluable, especially if the things you are taking are quite light.

7. Re: The weight of your luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 16:51