We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

I have posted many reviews on here and sometimes look back on the places that we have visited to see how others have enjoyed/not enjoyed it etc (not a complete saddo honestly!)

But one thing that really amazes me is that you are encouraged to right honest, personal reviews of the places that you have stayed...giving advice and hints and tips about the places that you have visited...BUT..yet despite this watch your head should you write a negative one...because you will and I mean you will get slated!!

For example one review refers to those who disliked a place as 'moaning minnies' when on reflection if they had received poor service, spent alot of money on something that wasnt what it was supposed to be, or had generally had a rotten time..wouldnt they write an honest review detailing the negative and positive sides to the trip? Or would they decide to not put this is in and give only the positive which to me isnt a true portrayal of the holiday and the basis behind this site.

To the lucky.. lucky people that hit the jackpot every time they travel and never have to stay in a flea invested, mold ridden hotel, or next to the family from hell after paying £2000 for a week for a 5 star hotel...good on ya and well done for making such brilliant choices ..but dont throw so many 'stones' at those who were not quite so lucky with their holidays

IBEROSTAR Playa Pilar
IBEROSTAR Playa Pilar
#1 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo
Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo
#2 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Iberostar Daiquiri
Iberostar Daiquiri
#3 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,447 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

Heads down you two your in for a bumpppppy ride

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

Good question, the trouble with reviews is that they are purely subjective, a person's likes\dislikes, personality, expectations, are all reflected in their review, what to some would be a minor inconvenience, would be a disaster to others, reviews should be a tool, if most of the reviews for a property are positive, then that should only be one factor in choosing that resort IMO

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

To me it all depends on what a person complains about, if you paid 2000 pounds and your room has many problems or certain facilities are closed or you got sick and stuff like that, i will take it as a legitimate complaint and would probably not book that hotel

But when i see complaints like the paint was cracked in my room or the AC was noisy only to find out that person paid like $600 for the trip, you have to wonder about people like that

As for the family from hell, well that has nothing to do with the hotel or destination, it's just unfortunate for you and if you let that destroy your holiday well it's your loss, sad to say

I see to many people who want 5* amenities for a 3* price and that upsets me

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,447 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

The same should be said for all those who have paid 5* and received less than 3*. If you have a valid complaint then that should be enough.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

we are lucky here in Canada, 3 1/2 hr flight for me to Cuba, i could imagine how some things could bother me after a 9 hr flight and paying a bigger price, being able to travel off season and last minute means i can swing 4 trips a year for 6 to $7000 for my wife and i

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

I dont quite understand why we are in for a bumpy ride, yet again..its only an observation.

You are all right, its all relative and each trip is a reflection of you as an individual, what you rate as great versus what someone would rate as awful...

just amazes me how you feel that you're not allowed to write about the bad stuff....why the heck not?! It happened...just like if you have a great time...speak up...but dont judge.

Ive had loads of brilliant holidays where the bathroom has been a little damp and the bedding rough and still had a good time, but sometimes..and just sometimes...when the travel agent has praised the place for being 'brilliant' fantastic' and she 'went last year' and you dont have such a great time I dont think that people should be shunned when they wanna write the truth about it.

anyway.....time to book the next one I guess.

Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

Ah but that is the problem, one person's "truth" is sometimes not so true, I recently read a review of one my favorite hotels, the person said all the staff were rude, nothing could be further from the truth. They obviously had a problem with a member of staff, and now all the staff are rude? This is why people get upset, some things that are written are just not true period.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
984 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

So many things can be debated on this subject, i can usually agree or disagree with a reviews within the first few lines of reading, for example if somebody starts a review with " the flight was terrible " i will not read the complete review because i don't care about the flights and in my opinion it has nothing to do with the destination or resort that i wish to enquire about, or "The reception people were very rude" i know it happens more often than none but i also know that peoples attitude has a lot to do with it

scotland
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

what really gets my goat is when people review their holiday and not the hotel.

Is it the hotels fault that you're flight was delayed? No. Is it the hotels fault the weather was pants? No. Really does my head in!!!

Alexa

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
21,447 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What use is this site if you dont give honest reviews

Same here. The journey, weather and other guests have nothing to do with the hotel but people like to lump it in on the holiday. There was a thread on here a while ago about what was the worst moan you had heard. That is a good read as to how people like to blame things and others. My favorite one is sea is salty.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo