We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

England
7 posts
Save Topic
Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

Hi,

I have booked direct with Thomas Cook and when booking it says it is £20 to reserve seats together.

Is it likely that we wouldn't get seats together if we don't pay this extra charge (there's only two of us)?

I've never heard of this being charged for before! (I've seen charges to reserve specific seats but not just to sit together!)

Thanks

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,039 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

That's correct, and that's only to guarantee you sit together, it's even more money to select your actual seats.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

It is yet another way to get more money out of you. Even if you pay the extra it does not guarantee you sit together as you could be on either side of the aisle or one in front of the other which they seem to think is sitting together!

edinburgh,scotland
Level Contributor
749 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

never paid it and have always sat next to hubby, we always check in early as possible just to be on the safe side and to try and get the 2 seaters at the back, touch wood has always worked!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

I agree kel76, never have paid it and never will but poss something in our genes!

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

I'm just curious. We fly with the Canadian Charters,and we

have a fee as well. We'Ve never payed it, and have sat together every time. Once I had a pleasant chat with our check-in girl,and the next thing you know, we're in executive, no charge.

I guess it pays not to be grumpy at the air port!

Then again, who would be, knowing we're off to Paradisio in the Sun!

Have a wonderful Holiday!

West Sussex
Level Contributor
686 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

Airlines will always attempt to seat people together. TC and others have been charging for quite a while. Assume that the majority of people travel as couples or in even numbered groups because of single room supplements then consider TC's 3-3-3 seating in the main cabin, a lot of people are going to be separated by an isle or a row. That can still happen even if you pay the charge by the way.

On our last TC flight, the lady next to us was separated from her husband by 5 seats and 4 rows. They weren't aware of the sitting together rip-off. If you check in earlier then you've got a better chance of getting seats together, ask for them at check-in.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

Yes they do charge, personally we pay it and choose our specific seat numbers too. We had a bad experience once when we got stuck in traffic on the journey to the airport, so we would rather pay and have peace of mind. What is £40 on top of what you've paid anyway?

We did used to pay extra and upgrade to premium cabin, but now all TC flights have the same legroom at the back so the only advantage is free drinks - but its unlikely to spend £300 on drink so not worth it IMHO.

We choose our specific seats because we like the two seats at the back.

If you get to the airport early enough you should have no problem getting seats together without paying an extra penny.

Have a great holiday!

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

Ive been on lots of flights where poeple have not been able to be sat next to eachover and moan and create a fuss whilst borded, total pain realy , coff up ya skintflint lol

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

What, You did'nt pay for the head phones and you had to listen to the moan?

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook flight seat allocation

you will probably be fine checking in early to get seats together, but you have to remember that on your way out of Cuba, the entire flight will be arriving at the airport at various times on different coaches, so you may well be right at the back of the queue. I think it is well worth paying the extra for your seats ~ it is a hell of a long way to fly and sit away from your partner/ companion ! Just my view. Happy hols.