We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in canadian dollars

Ottawa Ontario
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in canadian dollars

Hi. Do you know if its acceptable to tip using loonies and toonies. I recall awhile back hearing that cubans had a hard time converting coins to their pesos. I don't want to use bills everytime I tip..thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

You cannot change a forein coin in any country, including Cuba. So loonies and toonies are useless to Cubans. Tip them in CUC, which is their currency. Just bring your canadian dollars and exchange them when you arrive to Cuba.

HAve a look at the right of your screen, in the Top Questions about Cuba, you will find an excellent text about currency in Cuba.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

Gengen is right. Coins cannot be exchanged.

Whenever you are in a different country you should tip in local currency! When you exchange you can tell them that you would like small denominations, so you will have CUC peso bills or coins to tip with.

3. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2010, 12:00
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

If you have time change some Canadian dollars at Cayo Coco Airport when you land. The Cadeca is in the Departure Hall which is only a short walk from where you exit the Arrivals Hall then you won't need to use loonies, toonies or US dollar bills.

n-e england
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

hi there

in may i was up to my eyes in usa dollars the cubans, cannot get them changed, unless somebody changes them they might as well wipe there bum on them. as for canadian dollars it was lucky my mate was there he changed quite a few, get it changed and tip if you have to in cuc, it helps a lot regards the wagger

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

Unfortunately, as has been said many times the Cuban authorities have brought about this situation by closing all the Cadecas in the Arrivals Hall at provincial airports throughout Cuba.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

The line up was so long at the cadeca the last time I was there two people asked me to buy their CUC at a loss to them.

I was just arriving so I was glad to and I gave as good of exchange as I had change on me ... LOL

Mardi

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,254 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

Waggerlad, Cubans can exchange US dollars in banks and cadecas... But like anyone else, they will have a 10% penalty for exchanging them, so what you're giving them is in fact only 0.81CUC. Plus the fact that most of them work 6 days a week... So unless their employer allows them to use the cadeca at the hotel, it's really a hassel for them to exchange it.

Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

The airports are generally busy and someone will exchange with you ... even a Cuban (for a cost)

10 CUC for $12 CDN is not so bad a loss if in a hurry

Then exchange the next day at resort, bank or Cadeca

Mardi

n-e england
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in canadian dollars

hi

10% penalty, me thinks they are penalized enough, many who asked me where friends anyway as they knew i was coming, no problem for me to change them its just better to give them cuc as tips no hassle for them regards the wagger

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo
Recent Conversations