We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip to Havana

england
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
road trip to Havana

Hi we are revisiting the ID Cayo Guillermo June 2011 we were here June 2010

We would really like to visit Havana, we were told by locals that Havana is only approx 4-5 hrs drive away does anyone no of any company who operates excursions by road? Or any details of doing this independently?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip to Havana

Cayo Guillermo to Havana is well over 500+ kilometres one way. Unless you want to self drive with a rental car the only practical way to get there is flying.

Investigate taking the resort's Havana excursion, but without any of the activities - simply use their airport transfer, flight and perhaps accommodation. Arrange your own itinerary once you arrive in Havana.

Cheers,

Terry

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip to Havana

Terry is correct, Havana is 536 kilometres away from Cayo Guillermo (333 miles). The locals may well tell you it's only 4-5 hours away, but trust me you will never drive it in that time.

england
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip to Havana

Ok thanks very much for the advice

Paul

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip to Havana

Hi

I would like to rent a car and to go to Trinidad but is there any road from Cayo Coco on the land?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip to Havana

1.) Cayo Coco is an island off the north coast of Cuba connected to the mainland by a 27 km causeway over the ocean.

2.) Trinidad is a lovely colonial town on the south coast of Cuba that's 250+ km one way.

It's a drive that is not to be taken lightly by a first time visitor...

Cheers,

Terry

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip to Havana

When I was there in Feb they were not offering the trip by air only a 3 day road excursion to Havana.

LENNY

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip to Havana

thanks but why you think "It's a drive that is not to be taken lightly by a first time visitor... "????

St Columb Major...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
2,516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip to Havana

I recently went on my 7th trip to Cuba and for the first time rented a car for the weekend and went out with a Cuban buddy and drove to Moron, Ciego, Chambas and some other places.

My first time driving and I can say with confidence that you need to be a very cool driver as it is scary at times. There are cycles everywhere when you enter towns, plus horses and trucks and no one follows any real road rules so you have to be alert.

With my wife in the back so she can't drive me mad and a Cuban mate next to me it was easier so I would recommend if you can take a local. The drive to Havana is a long one and I would plan for more like 6 hours one way and take it easy.

Don't be put off about driving as I saw a lot more of Cuba than I ever would with a tour but you must be confident and alert.

Pic

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip to Havana

"we were told by locals that Havana is only approx 4-5 hrs drive away"

-----------

Rule #1 of driving in Cuba: Don't ever ask a Cuban how long it takes to get to anywhere. Answers may well vary between 45 minutes and 6 hours. Unless they are truck or bus drivers, Cubans have no idea of traveling times in their own country.

Back in the days when I had not quite understood how lost they are at this, I would slow down at an intersection and ask one guy how long it was to Santiago and he would say 'oh, just half an hour', then ask the next guy 10 meters away and he would say 'Santiago! Uff! 5 hours!'

Once outside Manzanillo on route to Santiago via the coastal road that I had never taken before, I was stopped by a cop and when I took off I asked him if he had any idea how long it would take to Santiago. He told me it would be just about an hour. I was there about 8 hours later.

Since I am not Cuban I can tell you that the drive you're planning is a long one, at least 8 hours if it's your first time doing the drive.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip to Havana

"... thanks but why you think "It's a drive that is not to be taken lightly by a first time visitor... "????..."

============================

I said that because since you haven't looked at a map to see where Coya Coco is located I assume that you also haven't researched car rental or investigated anything about driving in Cuba, that's why it's something not to be taken lightly - you need to research first because driving in Cuba is NOT for everyone.

Here's my personal opinion on the matter:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k38172…

Have fun, it's a great way to see the country.

Cheers,

Terry