We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

it should have been great.

southampton
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
it should have been great.

hi we have just returned from sol cayo guillermo,having been there 4 years ago, i was a bit dissapointed, this time, the food being my main issue,there was not a day when you could say the food was great,it was only warm,the plates was dirty,some of the food was bad,the bread rolls was not fresh,and there was always fly,s on the food,and as i work in the food industry i know as soon as a fly lands on food it is pooing and weeing to break the food down,all they need to do is cover alot of the products, but i can say the staff was very good and was always willing to help, so we had pizza and burgers for most of the two weeks because there is nothing else to eat, there are no other shops to get food from so really the main food area should have been amazing but it wasnt, also the pool area was not washed down ever, where the sunbeds were,so again fly,s were a big problem because drink was spilt which caused the fly,s the problems could so easy be solved, but the holiday companies need to get involved to get the changes done.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: it should have been great.

Thomas Cook carry out regular inspections and if things aren't right or breach Health and Safety regulations they will stop selling the hotel or close down an offending kitchen or restaurant. I could name two Cuban hotels that Thomas Cook no longer fly to because they do not consider them up to standard.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: it should have been great.

fantasticSouthampton

The biggest complainers during our vacation were the repeat Guests because they knew this hotel was indeed great at one time and could see how much it had gone down hill.

We just knew from visiting Cuba many times before that this hotel was below par, even by Cuban standards.

I have to admit that during out stay most of the food was indeed covered, so they must have run out of plastic wrap?

The food was also good and bread was fresh when they were not running out of it. I do have to wonder if the Sol chain is going to sell this hotel?

The Staff are amazing and believe me this hotel is not a typical reflection of a Sol hotel, something has gone, too bad we the Guests had to pay the price.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: it should have been great.

:( I am now NOT looking to forward to our winter break. Going to try and change hotels tomorrow

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: it should have been great.

sounds like something is affecting a lot of the hotels....

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: it should have been great.

LoonyLou, I'm thinking the answer to that could well be an especially slow low season.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: it should have been great.

I just watched 7 close friends get on the plane Saturday.( nashing of teeth etc...) They are going to SCG. looking forward to talking to them when they get home. Three had been there with us in April. Curious of the seasonal comparisons !

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: it should have been great.

deebob would you be kind enough to let us know how they are getting on please, if they get in touch, even by private message I would be really grateful x

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,831 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: it should have been great.

Just had a quote to change hotels and we are talking of an excess of £416 to pay :( although the hotel we would change to is actually no difference in price on line (Daiquiri and we have been there twice before)

Does anybody know if once we get there if we are not happy how much they charge you over there to swop hotels say to either the Melia or the Daiquiri?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
99,754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: it should have been great.

Di&Mal:

My guess is that it would be more than the price you have been quoted.

Gloucestershire, UK
Level Contributor
595 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: it should have been great.

i do think that the fly problem is an issue everywhere at the moment. Most of the reviews on hotels in Cuba seem to be reporting them. We were at MLD last week and there were some (not lots as on previous reviews) and I know they were having the same prolems in the other resorts.

Saying that I have found that we have had lots here in the UK this year - both at home and in the Office so I think it might be a worldwide problem.