We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

We have got into the routine of visiting the Sol Cayo Guillermo twice a year. It never ceases to astound me seeing the number of people walking around the serveries, licking their fingers, using the food tongs, licking fingers, using tongs. I have even seen kids sampling the various syrups at the ice cream counter and putting the spoons back into the syrup. And on occasions I have stopped off at the loo on the way to the Main Buffet and seen guys come out and staight in to dinner without ever washing their hands! Is it any wonder that food gets contaminated and tummy bugs rear their ugly heads?? Above all, in an All Inclusive dining room, personal hygiene, diligence and cosideration for other people's health regarding handling food (especially when carving bread) should be a priority . What I'm saying is that it is not always the Hotel's fault when food infections start, but invariably the the (contaminated) finger gets pointed in that direction.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
776 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Well said!!! one time while at a resort in Varadero I witnessed a toddler dipping his hands in the sauces, I almost got sick watching this behavior, and the parents did nothing to stop it (and you know where a toddlers hands usually are, up his nose or elsewhere), I also witnessed at resorts the staff picking at the food and tourists too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Good post, I am positive a lot of the "food poisoning" starts with behaviour like you describe. One of my pet peeves has always been people who insist on picking up a piece of bread then changing it for one they like better? when the tongs are in clear view! I have even on occasion moved them so that people could not possibley miss seeing them, some just move them out of the way and use their hands anyway, just don't get it.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Very Important posting, Cuba Carlos.

We could all be a little more aware of hygiene in the hotel.

As Che, from Winnipeg,Can. used to say , while picking up plasticos, and helping the maids clean up around to bar area.

"Just doing my part for the Revolution"

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

You would be amazed at how many people do not wash their hands after going potty, even after doing the number 2. Then again it blows my mind at how some Parents allow their Children to crawl all over the floors at shopping malls, hospitals, the airport, planes etc and watch like zombies as their Children put their hands in their mouth.

These same People will then get vaccinate to the hilt for disease and then wonder why there is so much sickness.

Cubacarlos

I am guilty of putting a small amount of food on my plate and tasting it to make sure that I like what is there before taking more. I have an issue with people loading up their plate with food, not eating allot of it and leaving it to go waste.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Hello again Sweet, Thanks for your contribution, Your first sentence helps to back up what I'm saying about hotels sometimes getting wrongly accused of "poisoning" their guests.

At the Sol,the worst place for finger licking is the dessert counter where the cream toppings do get onto the cake slice handles, but some folks don't seem to be aware of all the other people's lickings that have gone before???

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

I agree 100% with Cubacarlos and sal999! Well said!

There are so many reviews about how the buffet is unsanitary and they got food poisoning. Most of the time it is probably from the other guests, and has less to do with the hotel and chefs/cooks. I've seen people pick up cheese or fruit with their personal fork from the table. Kids licking spoons, or handling something and putting it back. Some young kids may not know better, but their parents should! I've been sick once, and I certainly don't blame it on the hotel.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

It is not right to blame a hotel for a sore or, sour tummy then to label it as food poisoning. Granted if several Guests are getting very ill after eating a certain dish and a Doctor, confirms it as food poisoning then that is different.

Problem is when most of us go on vacation we tend to over indulge, try new food dishes, sample different drinks and throw caution to the wind. I remember one Guest told me that she forgot about the tap water and drank some, of course she was very ill from doing this, but did not blame the hotel.

I remember years ago in the Dominican there was a shrimp night, my total favorite, so I pigged right out. Hubby will eat shrimp but does not die and go to heaven like me, so he just had a few. Well he ended up sicker than a dog and I was just fine, he probably did eat one that was bad and that can happen, but even then we did not blame the hotel on it.

Edited: 18 December 2010, 20:15
Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

We have just returned from the Sol on Monday and I can confirm ALOT of folk had this upset tummy for the full 2 weeks including all our party of 4. No sooner had you eaten you had seconds to get to the toilet. It didn't ruin our holiday as the stomach cramps were only present at the time of being on the loo and not during any other time. I am baffled to be honest as to what was the actual cause as no imodium etc cured this, and within 2 days of being home we are all ok. I keep thinking maybe the water, none of us consumed too much alcohol and everything seemed hot and freshly cooked, in fact we had no problems at all with any of the food during our stay, we thought it was better than other hotels we have stayed at in Cuba. It could be a change in diet.

However I did see numerous ADULTS put their fingers in sauces etc and lick them, I was horified and was on the edge of saying something, maybe I should. Like Sweet I do exaxtly the same if I am unsure if I am going to like something i put a small amount onto my plate and then try from there, that way I am not contaminating anybody elses food.

The following may sound disgusting, and yes it is, but one day while I was on the toliet I heard a woman rush in let out wind and obviously was in the same situation as myself, in fact I heard her praying, but when she finished she got up and left, no noise of washing her hands and using towels to dry them, who is to say the next door she opened was that of the restaurant, and then because the chefs are so friendly they shake you hands in a welcome gesture ... then go on to cook your food.

I would say the biggest problem is the tourists themselves, alot share no responsibility when it comes to hygenie.

I also thought that maybe all hotels should have hand sanitizer upon entering the restaurants which is enforced that everybody including staff use each time.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Sweet - you are definitely right about over indulgence! Sweet frozen cocktails + fried food + cigars + seriously sweet juice drinks + eating waaay more than normal = upset tummy!

I've done it, and you hit the nail on the head. People overindulge and blame sickness on the hotel. Sad really, giving them a bad name for nothing in that circumstance.

When the food poisioning is real, like the last poster said - and many people get sick... what do you think is the main cause? Under cooked food? Unsanitary conditions? Just curious!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re:- review,Beware of Hotel Bug! Contaminated semi warm food

Sometimes the sickness is real, in the sense of being caused by a pathogen, but it is not necessarily food poisoning. The Norovirus can spread through any situation where many people are eating in close proximity to each other and not always observing good personal cleanliness. This can result in most, or all, of the people getting sick.

I suspect true food poisoning is really rare.

Jack