We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

Lake district uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

I was just about to book Melia Cayo Guillermo from 12.05.2011 for three weeks, I was unsure which room to choose so went to look at their web site. There is a message showing

The Meliá Cayo Guillermo will be closed from 01/05/2011 to 31/07/2011, both inclusive

Does any one know anything about this?

staffordshire
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

Hi we are booked from the 17th April to the 5th May (18 nights) and I have just noticed that they are saying it is closed as well I will get in touch with Thomas Cook tomorrow perhaps wagger has heard something and can help us out

n-e england
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

hi all

before this gets out of hand again, i will give you paco direct e-mail for you to e-mail him direct which is

director.general.mcg@solmeliacuba.com

as i got slated last time this was mentioned by paco for rumours you can also e-mail eidel customer service manager at this

jefe.cac.mcg@solmeliacuba.com

i will be getting intouch with both of these to ask about the closure kindest regards steve the wagger

Lake district uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

Hi

Thankyou, I have sent an email to both. I do hope it is not closed because I really fancy going there in May.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

Thanks steve will drop Paco a mail tonight we are a pretty chilled bunch so we are not going to get stressed I am sure we can work something out it will be our 5th visit to the Melia we just love it there as do so many others last year we decided to go to the Melia cayo santa maria which was nice but we missed the staff so we were looking forward to a return this year,

Regards

Julie

n-e england
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

hi all

i just hope the people who have booked are going to get sent to another 5 star hotel, IF,IF, the melia is getting shut down. as the hotel has a ongoing refurbishment, but which hotel as the melia is the only 5 star rating hotel on the cayos. maybe paco, or eidel will come on this forum to tell people who have booked in may why its getting closed, but we all know that the pool needs relining, kindest regards steve the wagger.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

well called into Thomas Cook today they say they have heard nothing about a closure !!! but will get in touch with the rep at the hotel and will hear back in 72 hrs! they are still taking bookings for May June and July. I have not heard back from Paco the hotel manager as of yet, so fingers crossed it will be open however it is still stating on the hotel website that it will be closed.

Lake district uk
Level Contributor
41 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

I rang Thomas Cook our local branch instead of booking via the internet. I was also told that the Hotel was open. I went ahead and booked, going 12th May for three weeks. Watch this space!!! - thanks to all who tried to help.

Just a note: when I booked via our local branch of Thomas Cook their price for the holiday was nearly £300 extra than internet (off their own site). They did however when told matched the price.

PEI
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

This message is posted on the SolMelia website:

solmelia.com/hotels/…home.htm

I received an email from a friend in Cuba at the end of November telling me that the hotel would be closed for renovations starting the first of May for 4 months. The website seems to confirm this?

Grimsby
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

A word of advice, wait until you get a reply from Paco or through the Wagger. I was previously (and not too long ago) told by TC that a hotel was open in Cuba. I confirmed direct with the manager that it was not and was also shown photos of a building site of a hotel. Two more calls to TC and still denial. A week before our vacation we were moved to the hotel from hell, by which time it was not possible to book an alternative. To add insult to injury we were notified not by letter or phone, but by text!!! Be very careful.

staffordshire
Level Contributor
568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melia Cayo Guillermo closed?

I am feeling slightly nervous today as TC seemed to think as long as they could still book it on their computer there was no problem, but I think they could be wrong. We booked this holiday last June so we have no choice but to wait and see they have told me today that we can have a full refund or another holiday if it is closing. but i am crossing my fingers as I don't think I would fancy another hotel in Guillermo.