We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Just got in yesterday evening from two great weeks at the Iberostar Daiquiri. Lots of great things to say about the resort, as well as Cayo Guillermo in general. Also a few things with both that were a bit off in my opinion. Also had an extensive look at cigar pricing, explored bith Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo extensively, and lots of pictures and information about the VIP option for the airport. Full review will be done tomorrow at some point, but feel free to ask any and all questions and I will be happy to answer them. Overall had a great time! Cheers.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Welcome Back Nramsay8!

Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Welcome back guys and happy to see that you had a great time. How did you find the beach at hide tide? That was the most disappointing aspect of our trip back in February. Did have a great 2 weeks in Punta Cana though. Again welcome back. Just one last question, what was our money worth?

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Sorry, I meant to say high tide instead of "hide". Still early. lol

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Thanks ddcuba, it was a great time and Pilar was indeed beautiful as you said. Also got to do the catamaran which was awesome and Ciego De Avilla was cool to visit but unfortunately there were a LOT of begging and "frens".

Hi again pathfinder, glad to hear Punta Cana was a good time you lucky duck lol. I actually found the beach quite nice. Absolutely very narrow as you said though so not for those who like to walk. I'm more of a swimmer and there was room by La Marina for loungers. Probably foolishly of me I didn't expect the dark water to be all seaweed so swimming was also quite limited. At low tide though the beach was great. I can certainly see your complaints and with the exception on Pilar the beach wasn't ideal IMO. I would label the beach as good visually but not an ideal beach for practical use. Maybe as an islander I'm spoiled with my beaches lol. Exchange rate was about 98 cents in CUCs on each dollar at the bank and 92 at the resort.

Liked Cayo Guillermo a lot but we much preferred Varadero and probably won't be back to the cayos.

Edited: 06 May 2012, 14:09
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

I also prefer the Varadero area because of it's options for nightlife, The Cayo's for me at least are great to get away from everything once in a while.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

That's what we loved about Punta Cana, we grab a beach chair and put our stuff on it and leave for hours just walking the beach. Mind you, we don't get a chair under a palapa though. lol. We are thinking of Varadero for next year, haven't been there since 2006 and we loved it back then. We know that we can walk for hours in Varadero. How did you like Iberostar Tainos compared to the Daiquiri? That is one hotel that we are looking at for next year. The Tainos, Laguna Azul, Melia Las Antillas or Sandals Hicacos.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Honestly the reason we booked the Daiquiri in the first place was because of how much we loved the Tainos and Iberostar hotels. Biggest differences were the food and service. I found the food decent at the Daiquiri but it was not nearly as good as the Tainos. We loved the Tainos food and they had substantially more options. Also thought the staff at the Daiquiri wasn't bad we got on good terms with a couple staff. However they were not even close to the Tainos staff and many just didn't seem to care. We ended up coming home with $200 that was meant for tips but we couldn't bring ourselves to give. I probably would have liked the Daiquiri more if I wasn't comparing it to the amazing time we had at the Tainos. You would be making a good choice by going there. We actually almost referred not going back and my gf and I both agreed that we will be going back to the Tainos next year. Nothing against the Daiquiri but the two don't compare.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

It's good to know these things before booking a holiday. It's very hard not to compare hotels. Comparing the Daiquiri with the hotel we stayed in Punta Cana, would be like comparing apples and oranges. Even the place we stayed in Varadero back in 06 was way better than the Daiquiri. It was called Playa Varadero 1920 back then, but has changed names since. We will sure look at the Tainos for next year, our neighbours were there a couple of weeks ago and it was their first time travelling south and they just loved the place.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Welcome back, really glad to hear you enjoyed yourself, look forward to your review.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Got Back From The Iberostar Daiquiri Any Questions?

Absolutely Pathfinder, couldn't agree more. Whichever resort you choose I am sure you would have a great time. The Tainos is a great spot but so are pretty much every other one you listed for next year. Who knows, maybe we will both be enjoying a cold beer or mojito there!

Thanks sweetmystery, it was a great vacation regardless of any issues that came up. I would probably give the Daiquiri a 4/5 although if a 3.5 was available that would be my rating. I think a 3 is too low but a 4 is being generous IMO. Having said that I think it was one of the better resorts in Cayo Guillermo from a purely superficial perspective. I walked all through the oither resorts and spoke to other guests. The grounds of the Daiquiri were to my surprise even better maintained than the Melia was. My full review will explain my reasoning more clearly.

P.S. On the general topic of dress codes for those who are interested: Not to start a debate over dress codes but I actually spoke to staff at the Daiquiri about this in two of the a la cartes. On both occasions their answer was that it was technically the case that pants were required but that they were not at all concerned with it and felt that the restrictions were not only outdated but completely unwarranted. I wore my standard nice shorts and a polo on each occasions(5 in total) and had zero issues. I also witnessed a lady wearing a completely ratty and torn I Love Vegas t-shirt with ratty jean shorts and old worn sandals and she was not turned away. Just some food for thought :)