We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Question

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Question

(I feel like I've been spamming the forums this week!)

I read that there's a new dolphin pen near the marina...is it still being built or can you swim with them there now? Sounds more appealing than having the 2-day trip because they're so far.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

East Coast
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Question

I hope they are not building a new pen to keep more wild dolphins captive for the rst of their lives just to entertain humans.

Why don't you take a local catamaran tour and maybe you'll see some dolphins swimming in the wild?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Question

Ditto.

Placentia, Canada
Level Contributor
736 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Question

Back a couple of months ago there were 2 in the pen awaiting for the new attraction to open....situated by the marina.Not quite sure if there is a visit offered but did see alot of people around there.....wasn't for me

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Question

This subject is getting more tiresome than gifting. Bear in mind that swimming with dolphins can be hazardous to your health. Someone at Varadero a few years ago had broken ribs and a bruised liver from a dolphin attack.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Question

Dolphins attack? I thought they just smile squeak and kiss people.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Question

Dolphins can get very frustrated when kept in captivity and can occasionally "lash out", which is why they make you sign a waiver stating they won't be held liable for any injury sustained while interacting with the dolphins. Should this happen they won't even help you out of the water or call medical personnel - you are on your own. It is an infrequent occurance but it is a known danger. I've also seen video of a horny dolphin who wouldn't leave one woman alone - maybe she was at that time of the month, I don't know, but it was a bit disturbing. Dolphins are best encountered in the wild.

CAYUGA
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Question

Katie F, the Dolphin attraction is now up and running. We were there in May and a couple from our group went and swam with them. I think the cost was around $125.00.

I thought this site was a travell forum, not a personal opinion forum.

Just putting it out there!

Tracey

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin Question

People who travel to Cayo Guillermo usually go because they like to see the wildlife eg: crocs, snakes, the beautiful birds the selection of fish not to see captured animals. Theses dolphins should not be in Cayo Guillermo, or anywhere else for that matter they should be in the open sea swimming in a pod wild!!!

Edited: 28 June 2012, 16:09
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin Question

90% of what is said on TA is personal opinion. There is nothing wrong with airing different opinions.

How else does one learn and grow as a person?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin Question

Beef2198, if personal opinions weren't allowed on this forum how many posts would remain?...

Cheers,

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo