We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

alberta
Level Contributor
29 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

Hi everyone,

I just had a question on which area is better? Beach,& resort........ We will be going in December and staying at a Sol resort.

We are having a terrible time deciding, any help would be great :)

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
IBEROSTAR Playa Pilar
IBEROSTAR Playa Pilar
#1 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo
Grand Muthu Cayo Guillermo
#2 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
#4 of 7 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,540 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

Having never been to Cayo Coco I'd have to say that you'd be better of at Cayo Santa Maria. Great beaches, great people and the Sol is a nice property. Just be aware that at Sol Cayo Santa Maria you are 50 km off the mainland. They only thin there is resorts and the Pueblo. Sorry can't be more helpful.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
Sol Cayo Santa Maria
2,848 Reviews
Cuba
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

Been to Both Sol CSM and Sol Guillermo.

I side with Guillermo. Nicer rooms Right on the beach, none of these wooden walk ways through the bushes to get to the Playa. Food comparable. Drink selection better at Santa Maria. Also better entertainment.

I just find that on Guillermo, you can walk, and access different areas of the Key a lot easier. I don't get that "Isolated " feeling at Guillermo like I do on Cayo Santa Maria.( That's Me).

Oh Ya,

Playa Pilar is right next door.

Have fun In Cuba!

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa Maria
Hotel Playa Cayo Santa...
7,021 Reviews
Cuba
Playa Pilar
Playa Pilar
2,804 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,353 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

It really depends on what you consider a better beach! Cayo Guillermo is more sheltered, you can walk for a long time in the water without going very deep. The beach itself can also get pretty narrow at high tide, but it's beautiful at low tides, when sand bars form.

The beach seems "wilder" at CSM, and it's often windier. Perfect if you like a beach where you can swim and play in the waves. You can also walk for a long time on the beach at CSM, but you will see one resort after another (unlike when I went there in 2001, when there was only the Sol CSM!).

Have you seen the pictures on these sites:

www.cayosantamaria.info

http://www.cayoguillermocuba.net/index.html

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Guillermo
Cayo Guillermo
1,026 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Port Perry, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

We've been to Cayo Santa Maria twice (at Memories not SOL), and Sol Cayo Guillermo was our last holiday. Sol Cayo Guillermo was by far our favourite holiday! The sand/beach is a little nicer in Santa Maria as the sand is comparable to walking on a bed of flour, but it can be extremely viscious. There were 2 days that we physically couldn't go in the ocean because the undertow was so wild even though we were only out about 10 feet we were scared for our lives. That being said, if you hadn't been to Santa Maria you wouldn't know the difference between the 2 beaches as Cayo Guillermo is also gorgeous. The staff at SCG are one of a kind, the rooms are so close to the ocean, the palm trees are enormous, its more developed. We had been scoping out wedding venues and found our place, and I assure you you will not be disappointed! Also...after travelling all day the half hour bus ride from the airport was an amazing treat since the bus ride to Cayo Santa Maria is an hour and a half!

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Cayo Guillermo
Cayo Guillermo
1,026 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
repentigny
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

Do you think the sol is better than the melia in guillermo ?

melissa

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

The Sol is defintiely not better than the Melia Cayo Guillermo.

Mentioned in this post
Sol Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4,227 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Melia Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
4,590 Reviews
Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
7. Re: Santa Maria vs Cayo Coco Guillermo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo