We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions needed

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions needed

We are deciding between 2 resorts and would appreciate any input based on what we are looking for. Here is what we would like:

-great beach

-decent clean rooms (nothing fancy needed)

-less busy (nice and small), no need to rush to get chairs etc.

-nice grounds (tropical feel vs sterile)

-overall just a nice relaxed, tropical vibe with a great beach is what we are looking for

Resorts we are looking at are (we are open to other suggestions as well):

Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar

Sol Cayo Guillermo

Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions needed

Sol Cayo Guillermo fits your bill!

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions needed

Personally, I would chose the Sol Cayo Guillermo.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,457 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions needed

Between those two , it would be the Sol Cayo Guillermo.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions needed

Thanks for the quick response! It seems that the Sol is the winner hands down :-) Can I ask why you chose the Sol over the Caribe (just curious).....

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions needed

Sorry, one more question........we took the Caribe out of the running and have pretty much decided on the Sol BUT now I took a look at the Melia Cayo Guillermo and it looks nice as well. Price isn't an issue but we don't need any extras or luxuries etc. and wonder is the Melia is worth the extra $$ Which one out of these would have a nice, quaint feel and which as the better beach. Thanks again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
744 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions needed

The Melia is fantastic, I absolutely loved our stay there, the staff is out of this world, and the beach is absolutely beautiful, the boardwalk is really special and I have many gorgeous pictures from it. The Sol looks nice too from what I've seen. I would choose either of those over Cojimar. I did not like it when we walked through it, just didn't look like somewhere I would like to stay. Some people love it, just isn't for me.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions needed

If money is not an issue MCG is definitely the best option in the area!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions needed

Awesome - thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions needed

If you stay at Melia CG you can always go visit Sol CG and the other Melia and Sol in Cayo Coco (not overnight). We have taken the shuttle and taken a day trip to the other sister locations.

Between Sol or Melia Cayo Guillermo .....hands down Melia.... If $ is not of concern you might also take a look at Paradisus Rio De Oro (another SolMelia hotel)

Edited: 10 February 2013, 23:33
Wiltshire, UK
Level Contributor
449 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions needed

Just to make the choice even more difficult, we love the Sol Cayo Guillermo, so much so, we are going back for the 7th time next month.

It is a great place, I know the Melia is probably a better hotel for the money you pay, but we fell in love with the SCG the first time we went, for us, it is the relaxed atmosphere, the great beach, the people, that really makes each stay as special, if not better than the last.

Good luck and let us know which one you will go fo.

Saludos,

Tanja :o)