We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about fumigation

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
question about fumigation

A little worried about fumigation as I suffer from asthma. Is there a warning before fumigation begins?

What is in fumigation? Pesticides? how safe? how often do they spray?

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about fumigation

When I have stayed at MCG they spray once early morning and then again early evening. It never bothered my hubby and I but we do not suffer with asthma. We just thought that if they did not do it the mozzies would have been unbearable, so its something you have to put up with.

La Ronge, Canada
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about fumigation

The stuff they used when we were at Ensenachos smelled like diesel fuel and the cloud it left behind was like a car that burns oil. Doesn't sound too pleasant, but it only lasted a few minutes and I have to say, I didn't see one mosquitoe the entire trip and did not get a single bite of any kind... worth it if you can stay inside for the few minutes it takes to disappear.

Enjoy your holiday!

Toronto
Level Contributor
407 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about fumigation

Last visit to Sol Cayo Guillermo they sprayed in the evening just before dinner. It did smell like diesel fuel but I don't know if anything else was mixed with it. You can check out the MSDS on diesel fuel at hess.com/ehs/msds/9909dieselfuelalltypes.pdf

Since you have ashama I wouldn't go out when the cloud is in the air. In fact I wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: question about fumigation

i don't want to be anywhere near fogging machines when they are being used.

Fogging is the combination of pesticides such as permithrin, malathion or pyrethrins, mixed and diluted with kerosene or diesel.

I am familiar with these chemicals as I used to be a gardener and on occcasion, unfortunately, had to use pesticides. You do not want to breath this stuff.

I would rather suffer the bugs than seet his stuff being used, but I'm sure that others will not agree.

Edited: 26 February 2013, 15:00
Prince George
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about fumigation

Do you think they would still be doing this daily in April? After reading all the comments about spraying and mosquitos, we are now very reluctant to go to Cuba. I didn't realize this was such a problem?

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: question about fumigation

Who is saying that it's a problem? I've been to Varadero resorts a few times and only seen a resort area fogged once. Its not a daily occurrence. Relax...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: question about fumigation

Other areas of Cuba have more mosquitoes. I can recall in Sol Cayo Santa Maria, the Brits were being eaten alive by mosquitos. They do seem to be more susceptible to bites than other people.They didn't bother me though. Recently, at Cayo Largo, I attempted to walk on the beach after sunset, i didn't last 5 minutes.

Frankly, I have more mosquitos in my back yard than I've seen in some places in Cuba. The two resorts that I've just mentioned, were exceptions, Sol CSM and Sol Cayo Largo fogged every night.

My next destination, Villas Jibacoa, fogs every evening as well. Although I never seem to see any mosquitos there.

I think that most destinations in the Caribbean have mosquitos.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 20:22
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: question about fumigation

I agree with you about Canadian backyards. I can't go outside to work in my garden in the evenings without a bath in DEET. As for the English? Very nervous as a whole about "Mozzys"....we Canadians grew up with the dreaded black fly which can shame a mozzy any day.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: question about fumigation

All the Brits that I had met at Sol Cayo Santa Maria were covered in bites, which were large, red and swollen. I was kind of amazed at how bad it was for them. Even when I am bit, there aren't any marks.

We have it all here, black flies, horse flies, deer flies, and mosquitos, maybe you build up an immunity.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: question about fumigation

I am allergic to diesel, petrol and oil, I have to be careful when filling up my car. There is only 1 holiday that has ever affected me by fumes and that was in Kos not Cuba. At the time they fog most people are usually in their room, just make sure you shut the door, you should hear them when they fog as the machine they use is pretty loud.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo