We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

cheshire
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

any honest suggestions very welcome

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,833 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

Do you mean on the island of Guillermo?

cheshire
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

yes cayo Guillermo..i know there are only 4 to choose from if im correct

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

I would say there is not a lot of difference but I think MCG just wins. I would stay in any of them though if the price was a factor

cheshire
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

There is a huge difference in price from the melia cayo guillermo and sol cayo guillermo..some of the reviews lately havent been great for the sol wondered if paying the extra would be worth it..also if the snorkelling was better at a cerytain hotel that would tempt mea bit more aswell

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

If you are looking for a lower price, check out Gran Caribe Villa Cojimar. 1st resort on cayo after crossing causeway from cayo coco via airport. Food was good lotsa choices. Two a la cartes that we pre-booked at desk near reception Snorkeling is fab all over Cayo Guillermo, small island only 4 resorts so you can snorkel on your own, on excursion, or as we did ask guys at water sports take you out for 15 CUC per person for 1.5 hours.

Next time we go we will snorkel at Playa Pilar, heard it's great there for snorkeling. We did spend a fab day there on the pristine sand & swam in the crystal clear waters. It's a must if you go to Guillermo or Cayo Coco. You can take the double decker for 5 CUC return per person from front of resort (times are posted at bus stop) If you wanna know more on the fishing check other posts as we did not fish.

Wherever you do stay you will have a fab time in Cuba :)

We miss paradise

Edited: 29 March 2013, 03:38
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

With the MCG you have the pier for fishing off and snorkelling which is a big bonus. Also the food is very good.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

Still wondering why,

The Sol Cayo Guillermo is ranked as #1 hotel out of the 4 on Guillermo.( trip advisor)

Must be because of the beach.

My opinion would have the MCG as first.

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

adi c,

yes you do have to rate the hotel, but the beach to most people is a big part of their holiday, would go to a hotel with a crap beach ?

so that being said, the best beach is opp the sol, then the mcg, then daquiri, sadly the beach opp the cojimar is almost non existent, with large rocks in...

like i`ve said befor, between the 3 main hotels there aint much to choose from ...

rgds ..

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

Hi DB, looks like those ratings have changed ...Melia is now #1, Sol #2

I just got back from the Melia and loved it.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 23:19
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel for good food, safe snorkelling and fishing ?

I think there is good snorkling off the melia beach by the pier but you have to contend with the people fishing. My mum nearly got hooked by a fisherman :-)