We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy season?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
143 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy season?

Is may/june the rainy season ? has the flooding affected grounds/rooms?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,487 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy season?

It is the rainy season, but I wouldn't worry about it as if it rains it's usually short, sharp thunderstorms and then the skies clear and the sun come shining through again.

shipley,west...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy season?

Sounds a bit like the British weather NOT its so cold here and been hail stoning today, how id love to be back in Cuba right now

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy season?

the rain came down; (one evening and one morning of rain). there were puddles and leaks until it passed. The clouds rolled away and the sun shone again. things dried up after a while.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy season?

just remember that with rain comes the need for mosquito repellant increases

Edited: 14 May 2013, 17:59
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy season?

Canuks_2 - yes; mucho repellant. mosquitos were plentiful.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 18:06
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy season?

any pictures I have seen of flooding did not reach the rooms.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy season?

I keep reading about these short rains but the past few Junes that i was in Cayo Coco it poured continuously, last June for one week. The area had literally wetlands where none existed before with birds feeding and swimming. One evening it rained so hard that I didn't even go to the buffet for dinner. Other people said that they ended up soaked. The rains were so heavy that an umbrella would be useless. Ground floors can be susceptible to flooding so keep objects off the floor. July was better but I don't see how anyone can guarantee weather being one way or the other since the variables from one year to another are apparent if you go for many years in a row as I have.

cheshire
Level Contributor
622 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy season?

Does anyone know what august is like

Apopka, Florida
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainy season?

Cuba is in the tropics where it is established the weather is unpredictable. On any day of any month, it may rain or it may not. Some months have a higher potential for rain. That is the "rainy season". But the key word is "potential". Rains are usually short. But sometimes it may rain for days on end. The key words are "usually" and "sometimes".

Sometimes the ground is dry for lack of recent rain. Sometimes there is minor flooding from too much recent rain.

And last weeks weather is no indication of what next weeks weather is going to be. Remember "unpredictable"?

All one can do is accept whatever weather comes and not worry about it.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rainy season?

There is no guarantee concerning the weather. Some years seem rainier than others, some have a drought, some have hurricanes. To say with any certainty what August is like now would be foolhardy. As well, one part of Cuba could be dry while another part rainy. In addition to rain, it is possible for hurricanes to hit one part of Cuba. These things are not in any one's control and predictability.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo
Recent Conversations