We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions about resort and area

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions about resort and area

I am so excited going to Cuba again...Nov 3rd, 2013 two more weeks..I have not been to Cayo Guillermo in like 15 years. We are staying at the Iberostar D...I have a few questions first about the resort. How is the wine, and do they have bacon in at this time of year. How is the seafood selection? Now outside the resort do they have flea markets or places to walk around. I know when we were their we did not venture out of the hotel. Do they have horse and buggy rides to the city? What is the cost? Better to take cab? Also I will be celebrating my birthday so wondering if someone can recommend a restaurant for us to visit. I love seafood and steak. Cannot wait...Any answers are well appreciated.

Thanks and happy holidays,

Tina

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions about resort and area

You should be o.k. at the Iberostar, Tina!

Not sure if it was even around when you were there last.

Theree will be not much in the way of flea markets off the resort but the Daiquiri has a good selection of tables set up at the resort. There is Horse/trail rids on the island across the road from the Sol. You can do an excursion to Moron (on the mainland) where you will ride in a horse and buggy. Talk to your Rep. for details.

The hotel will do a special meal for you if they know it is your birthday.

The Seafood and Steak is a hit and miss. I personally don't eat steak while in Cuba, but I have heard it to be good and other times not so good.

There is a lobster shack close to the Daiquiri on the beach , and another one past the Sol, also on the beach.

Try and get off the resort and experience Cayo Guillermo and Cayo Coco. I recommend doing a day trip to the mainland as well.

Have fun and a great birthday in Cuba!

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Thank you the information...Do you know of any information regarding bacon and wine at the hotel? Do you know the email address to whom I need to send stating it's my birthday. Well my birthday would have past but the tickets were a gift for my birthday. My birthday is Oct 24, and we are flying in on Nov 3. A week and a bit later.

thanks for all of your help,

Tina

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Ha ha ,

Yes there is bacon and wine at the resort!

So your birthday is past, but you want to celebrate it when you get there?

Well, uhhh, you could email the hotel. There is a website somewhere .

You don't have to worry, there will be plenty tables available in the a la cartes.

Have a nice trip!

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
528 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions about resort and area

deebob, my birthday is in Jan, hope to be back at the SCG next Oct.???? Regarding the bacon and wine, we're just back from the SCG, (yesterday) wine, white, red and rose were all spot on and bacon was on on only one morning. Can't really comment on the ID, not having stayed there, should imagine it's about the same though. But, the cold ham on the breakfast counter at SCG is lovely, griddled whilst your eggs and tomatoes are frying! That's because Leo and Alex are "on the ball" two Another great holiday had by all.

CC

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions about resort and area

When we stayed at the Daiquiri there was no bacon. But its Cuba and when you go there could be bacon.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions about resort and area

We have noticed in the past 6-7 years; that bacon is very rare in Cuba. Our first trip this year, we brought 3 pkgs of the pre-cooked bacon. We would ask the grill man to put on 4 slices, have our eggs cooked while we collected rolls, toast, etc. The number of fellow guests who walked by the table and asked where we got the bacon - we brought it with us! And don't jump on bringing your favourites to Cuba - it's our holiday and after 50-60(?) trips, we know what we miss most.

PS: We kept the bacon is the mini-fridge in a Tupperware container, and every morning would pull out the 4 slices and put into a plastic sandwich bag to take to the buffet. We ate well, can't say that the other guests did - bacon didn't appear on the grill for over 2 weeks.

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Thank you for the information. I think I will do the pre cooked Bacon. Sound like a plan. We have been to Cuba to various areas around 10 times, and it is a hit and miss with Bacon. My hubby loves his bacon. If there was a grocery store near by he would go and buy the bacon. I love red and white wine so I am glad the wine is alright.

Two more weeks and counting,

Tina

Saint Thomas, Canada
Level Contributor
262 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Did you see HP sauce and Peanut Butter? If not I will bring my own.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Glad you had a great time again, Cuba Carlos! yes those 2 gents at the buffet in the morning set the mood for the whole day!

Looking forward to getting back there again.

Tina, I guess the bacon is rare. No stores close by to buy Bacon, just snacks, pop, rum and beer.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions about resort and area

Let me point out that the last trip wasn't to Guillermo. Even though the lack of bacon was apparent there. "Lardo" was sometimes available. We were returning to a resort for the 3rd time; and we knew what to expect food wise - 1st trip we had pig slop; 2nd trip was better - but we thought why take a chance. Guillermo has a much better quality, but 'lardo' is not what anyone wants to eat. It would make a good broth after it was boiled and drained! TinaS, you might run into real bacon in Guillermo, but I agree with you - if they don't have it, it is nice to have your own. If you don't need to use it, leave it for your favourite grill person.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo