We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back From SCG

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Back From SCG

Just returned from SCG on Jun 28. If you have any questions ask away. I will be submitting a full review and pics later today........

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back From SCG

Hi. Cairo20. How did you find the food?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back From SCG

The food was fine. Not great but not necessarily bad either. It was pretty much what we expected for a 3.5 star resort. The selection was very limited and they had the exact same dishes every day for lunch and dinner. We and the other guests joked that it was a paint by numbers buffet because the same dish was in the same spot every day :-) Some of the returnee guests said that this was as limited as they had ever seen the buffet but it was probably due to it being low season. That being said, we did not go hungry as there was a made to order pasta station most days and they had a nice selection of fruits and cheeses. The flambayed bananas which are made to order were delicious. Breakfast was the best meal of the day with an omelette station. There was no bacon there the entire week which was fine with us but some of the other guests were complaining about that.

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back From SCG

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back From SCG

hi Cairo20 was the building work/room renovations noticeable? and any idea what rooms are being renovated?

What was the weather like?

and did you happen to notice any new ceiling fans in the main bar or lobby area?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back From SCG

We didn't notice any building work/renos going on although we were told it was by guest services. We were told the work was going on in buildings in the 500-800 building numbers.

The weather was gorgeous, darn hot and the ocean was nice and warm. We had one day where it was overcast all day but still nice and warm.

No ceiling fans anywhere and they could really, really use them :-)

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back From SCG

What's it like eating in the restaurants then? Is there air con?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back From SCG

thanks for the update. did you have a good holiday anyway?

yea I did ask Jose for some fans in April, he was going to try and get some :-)

just out of curiosity how busy was the hotel?

Edited: 30 June 2014, 19:12
London, Canada
Level Contributor
5,541 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back From SCG

@andrew j - the hotel was busier than I thought it would be but not as busy as it would be during high season. I can't imagine how the pool/beach/buffet would handle everyone at full capacity. We did have a good holiday, how can you not with that beach :-) We likely would not return though.

@westieman 9 - It was terribly hot in the buffet. They said it was air conditioned but I don't believe that as it was so uncomfortable. Several nights my sister walked in and sat down and then left as she felt sick because it was so hot. The staff were complaining about how hot it was as well and they were sweating like crazy. I felt really bad for them........

lancs
Level Contributor
2,354 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back From SCG

Oh dear. Hope they they at least get some ceiling fans!

Sans Souci...
Level Contributor
323 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back From SCG

Welcome home!

SCG has been on our radar for years! Can't wait to hear your take on the "Cuban atmosphere/ambiance" ... the general "feeling" of the resort as compared to other resorts you've been to... that always means a lot to us!

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo