We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havana Trip Options

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Havana Trip Options

Hello all, my wife are off to the MCG next week (August 20th). First trip to Cuba without any kids in tow so we want to visit Havana as we haven't been there yet despite visiting Cuba 3 times previously. Can someone please tell me what the Havana excursion options are please and an idea of cost too?

I know that there was an o/night option last time we visited Cuba but is this a coach trip or flight? My wife doesn't seem keen on the coach option but doesn't mind flying there.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havana Trip Options

Have a look..

www.cayoguillermocuba.net/excursions.html

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havana Trip Options

Stef, if you want to send me a PM with your e mail, I can send you a T. Cook price list of the trips. Its 2013 but I don't think it has changed much.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havana Trip Options

Hello :)

Firstly, your decision to visit Havana is a good one, me and my boyfriend decided to visit whilst over in Cuba in June and we are very glad we did. We booked through our rep at Melia Cayo Guillermo (we had Roberto but you might have somebody different). The trip cost around 189cuc per person, it was just for a day and with this you get:

- Coach pick up from the hotel to the airport (and return coach trip)- we were picked up at 5:45am and returned at 9:30pm

- Flight to and from Havana

- Lunch in Havana

- A guided tour of several famous squares in Havana

- Visits to Cigar and Rum "factories" (more like shops)

- Visits to a lovely 1950s style bar

- A visit to a Cuban Market for souvenirs

- Optional visit to another bar or a short look around some of the shops (we went to a traditional Cuban bar and it was such a great experience - the cocktails were amazing and the live music was brilliant!)

We were very glad that we did this trip because we felt it was important to see the real Cuba while we were in that part of the World. I don't think we would do it again after doing it once, but I would recommended it to anyone going to Cuba. There is also an option to have two nights and three days in Havana but this was not for us, sorry I can't tell you more about that option!

Hope that helps!

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havana Trip Options

Thank you to all who replied to my posting. I'd like to go for the overnight option but not sure that my other half will be willing to give up her sun lounger for 2/3 days!

nottingham england
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Havana Trip Options

Stef when we were there last week the flight option was already sold out for the two weeks we were there apparently alot of people book it from the UK before they go so the only option was the 3 day coach.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Havana Trip Options

Hello all, well just arrived home from 2 very hot weeks in Cuba. Just to update this post, we did the Havana trip organised by Thomas Cook. First, the down side - the long coach trip! That's the only down side, the rest is very well worth the journey. We were accommodated in the 5* National Hotel and had a couple of days exploring this fascinating capital city. If anyone is considering a trip to Havana, do it now before the inevitable redevelopment happens. The place is steeped in history, the people are very welcoming and friendly and there is very little (if any) animosity towards or harassment of tourists. My wife and I loved the place and will definitely return. If you're a UK traveller with Thomas Cook, the trip is very well organised with very knowledgeable guides. Our guide was Aisel and our driver was Jose...two absolutely top blokes who took time out of their free time to to take a small number from our group to the Cafe Paris in the old town to listen to some live music and sample some excellent Mojitos and Pina Colladas. Thank you Aisel and Jose...and thank you to Havana too. Top tip? With the current $ to £ exchange rate, it works out cheaper to pay on your credit card than cash. I paid half on card and half in cash and the card option was roughly £40.00 cheaper after checking the card statement this morning.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Havana Trip Options

Stef, so pleased you had a great time, are you going to write a review, of both hotels?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,013 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Havana Trip Options

Stef:

Pleased that you enjoyed your Havana trip. I'm amazed that you say that there was such a big difference in paying by cash and credit card. The difference should be minimal no more than a £1 or so.

The only thing that I can think off is that you were ripped off on the exchange rate for cash at your hotel - some hotels on the Cayos are notorious for that. You should have received around 1.60 CUC for £1 Sterling for a cash exchange within the past two weeks. Anything less than that you were ripped off.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Havana Trip Options

Hi bellagio, i've just had a more detailed looked at the transactions and it seems that the OPPOSITE of what I posted is correct so apologies for any confusion I've caused. It seems my rough mental arithmetic at the time of booking the trip was a bit too rough. I got 1.58CUC to £1.00 at the MCG reception and a very marginally better 1.59CUC to £1.00 in the bank at the Iberostar Daiquiri...so the 329CUC cost of the trip was approximately £207.00 at cash whereas the card transaction was approximately £210.00...but this included card company commission. Whatever the price, it was all well worth it for the experience!

lancs
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Havana Trip Options

Hi.How long did the coach trip take and how many days were you at the hotel. If it isnt all inc how much would you budget for food and drink. Thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Guillermo