We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?

Hi there,

We have been regular visitors to Nerja and Frigiliana over the past several years. This year, we were thinking about a change and thought Zahara de los Atunes might be interesting. Is anyone familiar with Zahara that could give me a comparison to the two and/or provide other options in this region that we might want to consider? THanks for your help

Pete

3 replies to this topic
Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?

Hi Pete

I dont know if your question is still valid but will replay anyway.

Both places are quite different. Zahara is not that touristic as Nerja. It doesn't really have such a pretty square in the town center as Neria does (generally speaking Zahara is not a pretty town).

In Zahara you have the ocean which means the water is a bit colder and the waves are bigger.

However I enjoyed Zahara much more. It is by far more quiet and the beaches are nicer (not crowded, golden sand). There are enough restaurants and bars to choose from. We rented an apartment next to the beach with a big terrace with a sea view. The Sunsets are amazing.

In Zahara you can surf or do horse riding on the beach. If you stay longer you can make day trips to Gibraltar, Tarifa (dolphin watching, day trip to Marocco), Cadiz or Jerez.

Hope this helps.

Lukasz

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,876 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?

Well I may be biased here but I enjoy the entire Cadiz Province coastline which faces the Atlantic Ocean and especially for its wonderful sandy beaches and more laid back true Andalucian feel.

I have also visited the coast at Nerja and frankly the differences are enormous. Chalk and cheese spring to mind.

Reaching Zahara is of course not as easy as Nerja and this makes it appealing also because the drive may be around the southern headland between Tarifa and Algeciras or perhaps down from the north maybe across the "dehesa" where those famous fighting bulls are reared or you may pass the through the hills of inland Cadiz Province seeing those isolated "pueblos blancos" actually 100 times more beautiful than Frigliana. Well you understand I am biased.

Perhaps Vejer de la Frontera is more a mixture of Frigliana and Nerja but for me if the weather is nice you cannot beat the coast along the Costa de la Luz.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
3,224 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?

You can fly in to Seville to get to Zahara.

I did it from Malaga by hire car.

Nerja is nice - went to the caves and saw a lovely concert there. Touristy but not as touristy as Benalmadena say.

But our stay in Zahara was lovely too. Totally relaxed in a small village with lovely Spanish neighbours. A beach practically to ourselves and just the fishermen. Near to excellent bodegas and lovely rural restaurants.

We stayed at this place: /www.spain-holiday.com/6193

It's your choice really depends which sort of place you prefer

Reply to: Trying to decide on Zahara de los Atunes or Nerja?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zahara de los Atunes