We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

cardiff
Level Contributor
124 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

We're off to Playa Fornells in Menorca at the end of the Summer and many reviews suggest car hire. Would we get a better deal using a local company than doing it from home? Any ideas on prices in Menorca for say 2 days?

Haven't booked any transfers yet. I gather it's shuttle or taxi. We are looking for cheap providing it's not painful. Can anybody cast any light on the shuttle bus trip to Ca'n Digus in Playa Fornells please.

Also, we usually change money before we go but have sometimes found a much better exchange rate at our resort. Any suggestions for this occasion?

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Car Hire,

Some companys allow you to cancel and some dont even take card details. Depends on what you mean by end of Summer, if your going after the Kids go back to school, you might find you can get a deal in resort, but this will come down to how many cars are outside.

Transfers,

If the complex your going to takes bookings from UK Tour Operators (even if your booking is not with them), you can get a budget transfer. If its a none tour operator place, then private transfer coach/mini bus or taxi.

I have used www.taxitransfer.co.uk in the past and found them good, and if you google "shuttle menorca", there has also been good reviews on them.

Money,

Last week, there was a post on it, after I posted the resort rate in Cala Forcat, and it was about the same as they could get here. What I would advise, is you take a look at www.cashpasport.com , as it offers protection, and you can load your card/s in Euro, so you know how many Euro you have, and then your not guessing on how much is spent, or paying loads of bank fees. You can also top them up from your current account, if you have internet banking, you can log in from Spain, to deposit, what is same or next day, if your bank is on the fast payments system. Cards are on Visa Electron network, chip and pin, and can be used more or less every supermarket etc. There is ATMs in resorts, and your never more then 15 min by bus from a town/village, with banks in it.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Fornells is where Jon the Dog always stays so hopefully he will supply some inf soon about cheapest way to get there from the airport. He knows Ca'n Digas well so will be able to give you recommendations on the best places to eat.

Re car hire, in August I would definately say try and get something booked online with a firm that doesn't have cancellation fees or take payment at time of booking. If you use the TA forum search engine you should find lots of suggestions.

Re Euros, if the rate at home is about the same as on the island I would take at least some with me but remember that it is not always a good idea to use cards to buy it - BBC WATCHDOG this week identified some banks as adding fees if you used a debit card at UK bureaux de change and also said to avoid using debit cards in shops etc. abroad as the UK bank will often add a transaction charge to every single tranaction (no matter how small) resulting in it not being a cheap way to do things - the presenter said main rules of thumb were

1) NEVER buy currency at an airport as you never get good rates

2) If buying foreign currency in the UK the best way was to use cash unless you were sure what your banks charging fee is.

3) Do not withdraw lots of small sums from cashpoints or change up small amounts of currency abroad - because of minimum tranaction charges and try and pay for things in cash.

Some people (me included) take sterling travellers cheques as an emergency float rather than use credit cards if they run low but remember to always hire a safety deposit box if they are available as your travel insurance will not pay out if you leave cash and valuables about and they go walkies

Liverpool
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Try expidia...we got a seat ibiza pick up and drop off from the airport for £113...and it was also diesel...booked it 6 weeks before we went.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Simple rules/guidelines for Hire Car in Menorca - been the same for 20+ years.

Menorca is not a sophisticated tourist marketing machine, so set your expectations accordingly. Eg local firms will not always be accesible via a slick web interface if at all!!

The no. of Hire cars to get hold of is serverly restricted by Madrid - you will find hardly anything this year 2010 in July and August left xcept at 600+ / week. Also hire co. not renewing 4 year old fleet cars so availability has dropped!!

Always book in advance , local charges on the island are much, much higher - even the good ones will mark up heavily locally. I checked again last week e.g 40/day for car that should be 160 for a week booked in advance.

Some people who are only comfortable with big names and is okay ( if you have a company deal it will be a good rate,) otherwise you WILL pay more than one of the local companies that will often be run by an ex UK pat and JUST if not MORE reliable/honest and not hied extra charges. If you must take a big name I recommend National ( ATESA is local partner -I have no connection to them just good experience ) competive prices and good staff at airport-web site is VERY low though

Note many, many of the online offers are simply intermediaries(affiliates) so KNOW who which company locally the car is being supplied by!!!!

There are only 5 companies at the airport. Every one else will either bring the car to the airport or take you on a mini bus journey.

ALWAYS check the hidden extras eg out of hours ( before 07:00 after 21:00 ) surcharges etc etc. IMHO happens with the bigger firms not the smaller local ones

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Re transfer companies. This is relatively new to the island so "buyer beware" of internet sites offering this.

Check if 'shared transport' , i.e you might sit with five other sets of transfer customers in a hot minibus and you are the last stop so that 25min transfer becomes 2 hours :-)

Taxis have regulated fixed price fares based on distance on a pinted table in the car so they should present to you before setting off eg Airport Cala en Poter in normal hours is 16.20 Eur no more no less!

PS if you find good one and can name the local company that actually drive the vehicle let us all know

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Just a note on the Taxi's being a set price, the Taxi's are now metered, but you can ask before you get in the taxi for an estimated cost. They will charge you for each item of luggage.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Hi Raff,

2 weeks ago they used the table when I asked and put the meter on and it came to the same price. So hopefully the ' fixed pricing by distance' is still regulated and people can see a meter moving to the same price? :-)

But as Raff says ask before setting off - in general within 15km of airport should not be over 20 Euros

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Raff,

This is interesting on meters. Has there been any changed to local laws/regulations on this?

I have know of people in last few years, phone a Taxi Cala Bosh to Cala Bosh, and also from Cala Blanes to Cala Forcat, and been changed the same as if they had got in at Ciutedella, as the Taxi had to run empty a lot of miles, for a short trip.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 14:48
Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

Hi Magic & MIBOY,

The taxi´s in mahon are now metered, you will see that as you enter/leave town there are new sign posts telling the drivers what taxi zone they are in. I´m not sure if the taxi company that covers ciutadella are also metered, as they are a different company now.

The metering system has been welcomed by locals that do short trips, I have to say I found it excellent last week when we did two drop offs from mahon, one in Son Vilar then the other in Sol Del Este and it only came to 9€, a total bar-gin as it was 3am and it used to cost us 15€ minimum for one stop! The meter starts when you get in, not from where the taxi was based.

I´m not sure about the fixed pricing on long journeys, but I haven´t had many complaints from clients about their taxi journeys being too expensive...

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Menorca car hire - from UK or locally?

try www.poppycars.com really helpful we got a meriva for €175 (2nd Oct for 1 week) no deposit required and met at the airport. good luck

Get answers to your questions about Fornells