We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Hanioti

Which Hanioti hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Hanioti

Hi everyone

We've been to Halkadiki before but stayed at Ouranopoli, the last village before the area where women are definitely not allowed to venture and men only by special arrangement. We had a fabulous holiday there and took the little boat over to Donkey Island most days, just like the Caribbean, absolute bliss! This time we're heading for Hanioti and wonder what the attractions are there, places to visit, worth seeing, etc. We'd love to hear your opinions bearing in mind we're young-at-heart 60s.

TA members have never let me down yet so here's hoping once again.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Hi Eyepye, the village of Hanioti is a lovely little place centred around a main square with lots of bars and restaurants along with a small water fountain.

It is a very low key resort a Greek Tourist Village where lot of Greeks from the city of Thessalonika come to work for the summer or have second homes.

Its is mainly aimed at couples and families, so there is no rowdy groups of girls or boys overdoing the drinking etc and no clubs too.

It is a very relaxed place, there are people who say it is very english but it isn't at all , its just that a lot of british are return visitors here and the presence is felt. All the bar/restaurant staff are friendly will tell you were the best beaches are , and also answer questions you may have.

I recommend a trip to the towns of Pekohori and Polichrono too.

Im not really sure what you would be interested in doing really as you are a different age group from us, so we just find ways of entertaining the kids mainly.

I must warn you though that a lots of Hanioti is very underdeveloped and there are the odd parts where there is no pavement, but they are getting there, just think of being underdeveloped better than being overdeveloped.

There is mini markets though selling everything you could need.

Also the airport is very good compared with a lot of other greek ones where you will que outside etc.

Have a nice Hol.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Hi Bunny

Thank you so much for your help, much appreciated, and sorry for the long delay in replying caused by first being poorly (yuk!) and then a holiday in Elounda, Crete (great!). Hanioti sounds just our sort of place and we look forward to going in September. Any idea what the weather might be like then?

Eileen

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

You will find it a lot more populated than Ouranopolis or sithonia. There is quite a noticeable presence of brits too, you may even find it more commercial than the other two pennisulas mainly because it is busier and has more visitors.Saying that though it isnt over commercial.

portsmouth
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

I have just returned from Hanioti and it has changed a lot in the last 2 years. It was really hot and muggy - 35 degrees, which is unusual for Halkidiki this early. The locals said it is because the forest fires in 2006 burned down the trees that used to be in the mountains cooling the area down.

It is also a hell of a lot busier than I've ever seen it. I've been going there every year since 2001 and I've never seen it like it. Hundreds of Eastern Europeans have swamped it. If you need to get away for a night I thouroughly recommend Afitos. It's about a 15 euro taxi ride away (or you can get a bus from the main road but they're very infrequent). It's very Greek and has a handful of restaurants and shops.

My advice is to pack some very cool clothes and maybe do the odd trip to get away from the bustle. They do one to the hanging rock monastries which is miles and miles away but beautiful and worth the long long long drive. Also, my father went on the biucket & spader's boat trip and loved it.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

When are you going?

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Weve been going to halkidiki since 2005 and we normally go last week of june/first week of june and it is normally around the high thirties when we go.

The only time we have had it lower was last year when most of greece had around 4 or 5 days of heavy rain, the other days where warm but probably not as hot as in 2005 and 2006. We havent been this year yet. We did also notice last year that there seemed to be a lot more eastern europeans going mainly albanias I think. There is quite a few Russians too, but I think the brits still outdo them all. We are hoping to go in August, I hope it is not too busy for us.

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Thanks for your comments. We're going mid to end September so possibly it will be a little cooler then. We shall definitely do one or two of the boat trips as they sound very nice.

Honestly can't say we're looking forward to being swamped by heaps of eastern Europeans - got enough here, but maybe I shouldn't say that!

portsmouth
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Well my God, if you think there are lots here - you aint seen nothin' yet! They are very nice people I'm sure. Just a little 'in your face' for me. We have a one year old and they just came over uninvited and touched her and I suppose I just felt a little English and a bit stand offish. It's funny becasue when the Greeks do that I don't mind at all. It's certainly amusing to sit and people watch and see the way other cultures dress. I think I had a problem because the sea used top be empty and it's like chicken noodle soup now and I resented them for spoiling my paradise. Which is totally unfair.

Cornwall's looking good for next year though!

xxx

England
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Hmmmm, and we do love Cornwall!!

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Chicken noodle soup he he!

We noticed that some of the eastern europeans also had their coats on?? when it was around 35 degrees??

Made me feel really undressed in my shorts and tee shirt.

leeds
Level Contributor
30 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Hanioti

Hi Eyepye also 60's last year stayed at the Calypso this mid sept staying at the hilltop temp about 28/32c

nights about 16/18c if yuor not into lager there is the beer house just off the square. last year went scuba diving fist time in forty years great time.sit around the square and people watch time passes and the food is good. enjoy your hols john.

Get answers to your questions about Hanioti
Recent Conversations