We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coeliac disease anyone???????

Which Hanioti hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
coeliac disease anyone???????

We have booked to stay at the lesse in July 2009, today I had a letter saying we were not 'self catering' but due to a clerical error we were now Bed & Breakfast....... grest, except my hubby has coeliac disease & I have no idea what the breakfast is going to be. Also, do you know if you still get a fridge in the room with B&B at the Lesse?.

Last year a very kind soul gave me a Turkish translation card, I don't suppose anyone has a Freek translation card to explain my husbands dietry needs??

Cheers

MAz

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

is this the same as Celiac disease? Where you cannot eat gluten?

If it is, at all of the hotels I have stayed at in Greece, there was always a breakfast of yogurt, honey, cereals, toast, fresh fruits and sometimes eggs. So he should have a choice of different foods. I would bet some good money yogurt will be on the list of things for breakfast.

I will let someone who actually speaks greek help you with that!

Have fun!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

Thank you for your help,

yes it is the same disease.......

Cant eat anything with wheat or Gluten.

Cheers

Maz

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

Hi --

I have celiac disease and I've had no problems finding appropriate foods in Greece.

I always carry rice cakes and peanut butter with me - your problem will be with airlines if your flight has meals, not with restaurants or markets in country.

Celiac disease is very common in the Mediterranean areas, and everyone I've come across in Greece has understood what I could eat and what not. The same can be said for Italy where celiac is even more common.

By the way - let your husband be responsible for his own diet. He's a grown man, and knows what he should eat. If an error is made by the kitchen or server, you don't want to be in the middle - after all, it's your holiday, too. Let it all be kept between your husband and the restaurant/B&B, whatever. That way, it's never going to be your fault and you can be the cheerleader and sympathetic listener.

For a B&B, I would take a loaf of gluten-free bread so that I could have toast with my brekkie. I love Greek yogurt with honey and almonds if they have them. That, with some cheese, a hard boiled egg or two, and whatever fruit is on offer, and I dine like a queen.

BTW, the coffee is always great - although you may find it strong - ask for hot water or hot milk - but take your own tea. I've yet to find a Greek tea that I like as much as the Murchie's I get from Canada, so I take some of that with me wherever I go.

Stop worrying about your husband. Celiacs are like everyone else in Greece - they've been getting along fine for millenia - your husband will do the same.

The biggest problem should be - do you have enough bathing suits, or should you buy another in Greece? Don't buy a cover up in the UK - you'll find better ones in Greece, and they make a super souvenir. Shop in the places right on the harbour front - but buy up the hill a bit - it will be cheaper.

Enjoy!

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

Hi maz not a coelic myself but have stayed at the Lesse in Hanioti three times with my family.

We have been self caterig but had the odd meal in the bistro near the pool. When they have the leavers night BBQ (Wednesday) , I have always told George (the main man)I'm a vegan and asked what I can have and he has done me a tomato pasta meal and other things especially. They are very helpful and accomodating as long as you let them know before hand. As long as you dont ask them five mins before you require something different they will sort something out for you.

You can always email the hotel (web site Lesse.gr)and ask Anastacia or Katerina in advance. Things like stuffed peppers etc should be ok for you etc.

I know my dietry requirements are different but I cant see you having a problem as long as you let them know.

Im sure you will have a great holiday at the Lesse, as we have had.

nc usa
Level Contributor
1,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

I'm gluten intolerant and have not had any problems finding great food in Greece. 99% of the people speak very good English. I never had to use a translation card.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

Thank you for your reply, that has put my mind at rest, it is always nice to hear from someone that has actually stayed at the same place, rather than just been to Greece.

We went to turkey last year, just after his diagnosis and we were fine there, but I did have a 'medical translation card' but I can't find a Greek one.

I see that you have stayed at the Lesse 3 times, it must be good then? How far is it from the town and in which direction?

We stayed in Hanioti a few years ago and stayed at the Daphne apartments, is it in the same area?

Thank you once again for your reply.

Maz

x

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

Hi,

I am coeliac and have just had 10 nights in Kriopigi.

(this is 2 resorts away from Hanioti - we did a taxi between the two one day, which cost 13 euros there, 10 on the way back, as we got dropped off in town rather than at the hotel we were staying at down the hill).

We were self catering, so I didn't really have any problems. I took LOADS of GF crackers (which come in useful for breakfast, lunch, and addition with dinner, some for days out), some GF pasta, GF cakes (always miss sweet stuff) and GF rice. We were able to buy rice out there, but it's always good to have rations just-in-case.

However, our luggage was over-weight going (!) (4 boxes of GF crackers, at 250g a box is 1kg!!) so Easyjet charged us £27 for 3 extra kilos.

I wasn't going to leave anything though, in case I struggled to find things to eat. Sometimes the crackers are the only carbs I eat on holls.

Ate all the food and used loads of sunblock, so coming home our luggage was lighter!

I found a greek translation card on the internet,

glutenfreepassport.com/traveling/translation…

which was useful in restaurants and also when booking excursions (if food is included).

Ate out at lunch lots - lots of greek salads.

Ate dinner out twice, and went to the same place....it's in Kriopigi, called Athena's Hagiata. Athena is such a lovely lady, and really understands coeliac disease. She said a few locals have coeliac disease, and the translation sheet helped lots - if she hadn't personally cooked some items, she wouldn't offer me them, just in case. LOVELY lady and tasty food.

Now we can eat Walls, I did try the Magnums when out there (they are called Magic's). Take your book and just double check the weights of the ice cream. This was great to be able to have ice cream abroad!!

Over-all, no problems.

Got gastric flu 2 days after we got back to the UK - don't know if this was from the change in foods (LIVED on salads a lot of the time), or from a bug, but certainly wasn't gluten related.

Hope you enjoy your holl.

8. Re: coeliac disease anyone???????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hanioti
Recent Conversations