We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money - West Bank

Which Ramallah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver / Farnham...
Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Money - West Bank

I shall be volunteering in Jericho for 3 months from December 2012 but have no idea what sort (not how much) to take / have available locally. Cashpoints are unattractive due to a huge variety of charges and unfriendly exchange rates; traveller cheques now becoming difficult to exchange due to their obsolescence; credit cards always a bad idea... and the list goes on. It's tempting to take cash but is it a good idea and, if so, which currency. Any experience out there?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money - West Bank

I brought about 1500 $ with me and changed it at a money changer in West Jerusalem near the Old City. I got a good rate

In Ramallah it was not as good.

Not sure what else to say.

London, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money - West Bank

Do not bring USD with you to get it changed - you will get a terrible rate.It is far better to use cash machines (ATM's) on arrival and take out large amounts at a time. This is by far the most cost effective method.

I dont' know Jericho too well but your best bet would be to get cash in Ramallah or Jerusalem where there are a wide selection of banks and different ATM's.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money - West Bank

While I do not know the rates in PA areas, I do know the rates in Jerusalem. ( new city) Generally speaking the money changers will give you anywhere from .3 to .6 below the commercial rate. Most ATM withdrawals you will end up with a few points below commercial AND a commission ( percentage varies by bank) It is important that you speak to your bank before coming to Israel and find out what they are charging. Only then can you decide which is best for you. It is also important to make sure your bank knows where you will be, so your card isn't stopped by their fraud department. ( and re-confirm that they have put the notification on--I called my bank and the idiot I spoke to didn't properly enter it and I had to call them from Israel whenI couldn't get any money!)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,076 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money - West Bank

If you have a debit card that does not cost you for withdrawing foreign currency that would be your best bet. Change shops are your best option for changing currency. Using only an authorized change shops. The currency throughout Israel and the PA are Israeli Shekels. I would not hold large amounts of cash as this is not the safest way to keep your money for such a long period of time.

Ramallah...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Money - West Bank

I use my Debit card all the times. US Bank charges me $12 for every $500. Chase charges $10 plus 1%. I hope this helps

6. Re: Money - West Bank

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2012, 08:35
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
623 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money - West Bank

Whether or not to carry cash is a persons personal preference. I take half cash and the other I use credit card. BUT, credit cards I use sparingly and I try to use them at large hotels, car rentals, airports etc. Use the normal precautions when carrying cash around when traveling overseas, which is not to keep them all together at one place. I have personally found security money pouch very useful when traveling overseas.

You can you Shekels in Jericho for day to day activities.

Colorado
Level Contributor
214 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money - West Bank

I would advise your bank, before you leave, where you will be traveling and the dates. That way you won't have a security hold put on your account by your bank. That can be a dismal event right when you needed cash, and tough to sort out from another continent! Also, see if you can get an international toll free number to your bank that will work from Israel and PA. Have a great time! Jericho is awesome. Great eats at Abu Omar. The hiking is awesome too.

NY, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money - West Bank

You mention Chase bank. Do.

the ATM machiines in Ramallah accept the Chase debit card? Thanks!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money - West Bank

Chase should be able to tell you where their cards are accepted.

Get answers to your questions about Ramallah