We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finikounda/Stoupa

Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
180 posts
Finikounda/Stoupa

For those who have been to both, how do they compare?

14 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
6,880 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

What time of year are you thinking of? In high season both resorts will be busy but sadly Stoupa nowadays Is IMO far too crowded for comfort, with jam-packed sunbeds on both the village beach and Kalogria beach. Finikounda has a number of beautiful sandy beaches both in the village and nearby and the village itself is more spread out and feels more spacious and relaxed to me. However these are my personal opinions and many devoted visitors return to Stoupa year after year and love it. The best advice I can give is to look at some YouTube videos and online photos of both resorts to see what you think.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,359 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

I have to agree with that comparison, & yes, time of year does matter.

It really depends what you are looking for & the time of resort you prefer.

Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
180 posts
3. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

I've already been to Stoupa, end of May/early June. Would go to F. either then or mid/late September.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
235 reviews
4. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

Been to both in June and Stoupa first week in May, Finikounda in early September.

Stoupa in May was a delight, hardly anyone about but most tavernas open. The wild flowers were still out in abundance, it was great for walking but the weather was somewhat mixed.

Finikounda in June was fine, not too busy and lots of space to spread out on the beaches which unlike Stoupa were not crowded with sun beds. We were disappointed to find it very busy and many more sun beds when we returned the following September (2nd week). It may be quieter later on in the month.

I personally found the food/tavernas much better in Stoupa.

Lots to see in both areas if you have access to a car.

Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
204 posts
5. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

Thanks.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

Have been to Stoupa 6 times now in the months July/August/ September. Felt last year even in September it had lost some of its charm. Even the restaurants did not seem up to their usual standards. Felt like we needed a change and are this year going to Finikounda first 2 weeks of July. Ive looked at loads of videos from You tube and it looks a bit more spread out as you say. Im sure a change will be as good as a rest as you can sometimes just become a bit too familiar with a place. I do hope so.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
7. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

You ought to try Taverna" To Palamidi " on the main road ,opposite Tsokas Hotel. Wonderful food and atmosphere . A favourite with Greek Families.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

I have been lucky enough to have visited Stoupa on more than a dozen occasions and Finikounda three times over the last ten years and there are arguments for both lovely resorts, as the previous posters have pointed out, at different times of year.

The food is better in Stoupa, the food is perfectly good in Finikounda don't misunderstand me, but there are more restaurants, more bars and from an English point of view (I will return to this point) it is easier and possibly a little cheaper to eat out.

There is a much greater choice of accommodation in Stoupa, and if you travel with a tour company, the services of a rep. The beaches have certain similarities, in so much that both have a "town" beach and both these great beaches have way too many sunbeds on and both have a second, far superior beach, just around the corner. For Stoupa it is the iconic Kalogria beach and for Finikounda the seemingly endless Anemomnelos beach. Pays yer money and takes yer choice again. Kalogria is massively over bedded but Anemomnelos has just the one taverna and a few dozen sunbeds so you need to get down there in the morning at high season, if that is important to you.

Stoupa wins for me though by virtue of the magnificent, and that is not just hyperbole, the wonderful Taygetos mountain range. From the spine tingling sunrises to trips up to beautiful mountain villages it is breathtaking.

Downside about Stoupa ?

I'm going to get slaughtered for this but it feels to me, at times, like how a white, middle aged, middle class English person would expect a Greek resort to be. It is almost a parody of itself and you will hear more English spoken in the local branch of Katerinas than you ever will in your nearest Lidl. You will never need a Greek phrasebook in Stoupa but you should pack one for Finikounda but is that a bad thing ? Depends on the individual.

Stoupa also has my favorite restaurant in the whole of civilisation, no hyperbole here, in Akrogiali. I would eat there 365 days of the year if I could and I will miss the place when we return in three weeks to Messinia. Not Finikounda but we will be having a day trip to visit some friends of ours.

These are just my personal observations and probably worthless, go to both. I love them both with one or two reservations!

Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
204 posts
9. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

That was my favourite restaurant too. I ate there three times.

What I liked best about Stoupa were the scenery and the surrounding area, and the drive down the Mani. The beaches not so much.

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Finikounda/Stoupa

we're looking for a holiday first week in october, is that end of season then so too late? we've been to stoupa and loved it, and had a day out at gialova which is on the finikounda side, so considered trying there next.

thanks

Reply to: Finikounda/Stoupa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Finikounda
Recent Conversations