We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

sheffield
Level Contributor
449 posts
106 reviews
General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Hi Everyone,

This is just a general post whilst I remember things. First of all we travelled with Thomas Cook and were assured we would be dropped off at the church. We were not. We were dropped off on the main road and had quite a walk which I could manage slowly but not much fun given that I'm due a replacement hip soon ! The coach driver did not have the language to explain to us that there was an informal marathon for charity taking place which is why for a health and safety issue he did not wish to take the coach further down and there was no rep on the bus. Those staying at Finissia and Korakais may see the blue and green chalk on the road which is a result of the marathon.

Please note also the transfer was an hour late on the return and this meant we were rushed through to get on the plane. No one could tell us what had gone wrong but we were picked up outside the church so if we had wanted to buy spirits etc we would not have had time.

We stayed 20 to 27 May. The start of the week was quiet and heaven. Some of the Tavernas were not open and those that were often had limited menus but that was fine - we were taken into the kitchen and shown food which is the old fashioned Greek way of choosing which is lovely.

The standard of food was excellent throughout and we did not have one bad meal - every single taverna did proper chips - not a frozen one in sight thank God. House wine was around 6 - 7 euros a kilo and food prices extremely reasonable as well.

The two cashline machines appeared to be working but I'd taken plenty of currency and did not use. One is next to Finikounda Hotel near the church and the other one is at Terra Mare.

What I will mention in case it is of use to those choosing their holidays is this - on the Friday (being 25th May) the place became inundated with Greeks (possibly Athenians) who were on holiday for the weekend inasmuch as Whitsun is a UK holiday, then I believe it is also some kind of Pentecostal festival/holiday for the Greeks too. So if you are not keen on crowds, avoid this holiday.

The supermarket was open on Sunday but only early (I think the sign said it closed at 13.00) However it may open differently as the season gets going.

Hope this info is useful to people. It's still a beautiful place and I will be back. I've posted separate reviews regarding tavernas and the accom.

7 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,359 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Pentecost date varies each year (in relation to Easter) & rarely coincides with UK whitsun :)

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
235 reviews
2. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Hi Jennywren

Thanks for posting. I've been to Finikounda a couple of times and like to hear how things are there. How many sunbeds were out on the town beach whilst you were there?

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Im looking forward to going on July 1st. We have done Stoupa 6 times but fancied a change. Finikounda sounded like the change we needed. We will be staying at the Finissia. Theres no chips like Greek chips so Im glad of that. Stoupa you always get the walk too from the coach to your accomadation depending on where your staying so used to having to walk however I guess Finikounda doesnt have the luggage truck like Stoupa so we will be pulling our own cases. Any useful infomation you have would be a great help like what shops are there, supermarkets, phamacy etc etc. Will also give your reviews a look regarding tavernas etc.

sheffield
Level Contributor
449 posts
106 reviews
4. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Hi Yiassas, thank you regarding the information concerning Greek Pentecost. To quote Michaelaneglo - I am still learning!

Hi Sueevie, there were more than enough sun beds,even when the influx of extra customers arrived. And during the start of the week there were plenty empty. Right the way along to the harbour too.

Hi Katerina50, I've stayed in Stoupa before, so was aware of the walk which even for me would have been fine if the suitcase had been on the truck! The good news is that if I could manage when I'm ready to have the hip replaced in July then everyone else should hopefully find it a doddle. If you are dropped off at the church, you should see a sign pointing towards the supermarket which is sort of behind the church or at least to the left hand side of it. When you hit the sea front, if you turn right and head towards the harbour end you will see a pharmacy sign up one of the little roads to the right. There is also a sign pointing towards To Steki which is a lovely taverna in the backstreets. To the best of my knowledge there is only one supermarket and one pharmacy in Finikounda which is significantly smaller than Stoupa. The Finissia has lovely views and everyone who I spoken to that stayed there seemed to enjoy it.

I hope you have a really lovely time!

Dorchester, United...
1 post
5. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Hi jennyywren31. Thanks for the helpful info on Finikounda. We’re going out with TC on 17 June for a week at Korakakis for the first time. Been to Stoupa many times but now find the walk from Kalogria to town beach and back too taxing with dodgy knee and hips. Hopefully Fini is a little flatter to and from the tavernas/beaches. Also less sun beds packed together. Will miss being welcomed back in Stoupa but are sure everyone will be just as friendly in Finikounda (Greek hospitality).

Level Contributor
256 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

Hi diandrick sorry if I have mispelt this..

We are going to Fini for the third time this July and never have returned to anywhere on holiday as many times. This tells you what the place is like as we have travelled all over the world and choose to come back to Fini. We love it.

ok a few tips...Firstly so glad to see Yiannos and Sueevie posting again. You were both brilliant last year 're your excellent posts and advice especially when we were trying to find places to visit. a personal thank you guys

Secondly I would advise hiring a car if you can. you can hire at Kalamata airport. See my.previous posts fir details of tne company we used.

If going with a tour guide.try to get to see the surrounding coast. Methoni - great castle and great food on the road cafe near the campsite, Pylos...lovely small town..not flat though but a lovely flat harbour to wonder along and have a coffee. Nice shops.

Zanzibar beach..our favourite beach..good beach bar miles of sand..great scenery.

Further away.. Olympia...long drive but worth It very interesting..but very hot take a hat and lots of water..see my.previous posts on this..

Food in Fini...Dionysis great suckling pig..

To Palamidi..on the main road..great for veggies lovely...

great Ice cream at the ice cream place..sorry cannot remember it.s name but you cannot miss it as you come into Fini..grear coffee too..

Great little supermarket beside the church.. can get all essentials there ...larger one out of Fini on the main road. This is called Medussa.

Very good butcher who speaks English our attempt at asking for mince steak in Greek was a disaster!! i think we asked for something rude..Ho ho..but we got there in the end!

Money...we take plenty of Euros as when We were there the cash machine wasn't working. Overnight a pop up one appeared near the church..

ran out of money quickly and then disappeared as quickly as it came!! But endaxi...this is Greece go wirh the flow.. .. we love IT!! Some taverns take cards too.

We are staying at Tsokas hotel which is great.....we go on 21st July..cannot wait...getting excited already....

Have a great time.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
15 posts
7. Re: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!

All these small details are very important for everyone, we visit Messinia and the near Regions almost every year but all of these information help us to explore and enjoy ourselves better in this area and avoid having bad times !

Reply to: General post - proper chips, Thomas Cook & Whitsun!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Finikounda
Recent Conversations