We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Thailand

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Thailand

Hi,

I was thinking of going to Thailand in late July and stay for 1.5-2 weeks. I was interested in visiting Bangkok, Phuket, Phi Phi island, and Chiang Mai.

Our tops interests are: Beaches/snorkeling/diving, culture & food, spending some time with the elephants...

1. How possible is this? Should I only visit 2 or 3 of these destinations within in this time frame?

2. What is the best way to travel within Thailand?

3. Should I fly into Bangkok or Phuket.

4. Any recommendations on MuST-SEES?

5. Recommendations for crazy foods to try? I'm really interested in eating unique things you can't get in other areas.

6. Any unique cultural or off-the-beaten path destinations or attractions that are recommended would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
937 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Hi,

I'll try and answer the first 3 questions as the answers to your other questions are available using the search function within the relevant forum. There are also the FAQ's which will contain valuable information. FYI, you have posted in the Phi Phi Ley forum. Phi Phi Ley is uninhabited :) Phi Phi Don is where you would stay if you visited Phi Phi.

1) You might want to consider dropping Chiang Mai from your itinerary and save this area for when you have more time. It's possible to visit each of the areas you mention but you'll be rushed.

Bangkok should not be missed. You will want a good 4-5 days to cover temples, sites, shopping, eating and drinking. This would also allow you to take a day trip outside of Bangkok.

Phi Phi can be accessed via Phuket so the 2 can easily be combined.

2) You are time restricted so consider flights. There are dozens of flights between Bangkok and Phuket daily.

You will require either a ferry or speedboat to reach Phi Phi (1.5 hrs) from Phuket.

3) As above, definitely fly.

Head to the forum of each destination for more information. All of your questions have been asked numerous times, so the answers are there to seek out.

Cheers.

Edited: 28 February 2013, 23:48
Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
937 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Just to add, remember that Phuket and Phi Phi are in monsoon season in July which can mean a lot, a little or sometimes no rain, but seas can be rough which can stop you doing sea based tours and some of the beaches have very dangerous and sometimes fatal swimming conditions. The east coast tends to have better weather at that time of year.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
937 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Are there any places you highly recommend on the East Coast?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Thailand

With your relatively short time frame you could look at Koh Samui, anything more than than will be too much in your short time frame. 1 1/2 weeks is really not a reasonable time to do Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Samui, but with 2 weeks it is possible.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,657 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Thailand

I agree with Cassnu. Most of Phuket's beaches are not really safe for swimming during July but around the sheltered bays of Phi Phi should be fine for swimming and snorkelling.

Cheers.

Edited: 01 March 2013, 04:00
Mentioned in this post
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
937 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Thailand

The dates are going to be July 29 - August 12, which is 15 days including the flights.

7. Re: First Trip to Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Ko Phi Phi Lee