We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

Qld
1 post
Save Topic
Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

I am spending a couple of weeks in Fiji about 2 hours from Suva and I am very concerned about Dengue Fever...especially vomiting from it and the food. I have tropical strength aeroguard but it does not have deet in it. Does this matter? what foods should I and should I not eat? I also have a mosquito net for night time. How can I avoid vomiting over there? I am taking olive leaf extract so will this help me agianst the mosquito diseases, food sickness and water sickness?

Please help its urgent

thanks Loral

Bundaberg, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

I am a Qld'er and you have as much chance of getting Dengue Fever and food poisoning in the north of our State as you have along the Coral Coast of Fiji, if you don't do the right thing. Buy repellant that does have Deet (although Aeroguard Tropical is all I use), wear long sleeves at dusk and as for food, just use your common sense re cleanliness/food preparation. If you're that concerned, don't be adventurous, just stick to main stream resorts/restaurants, even though there's no guarantee's there either, just like at home. Tomorrow (seeing it's urgent) I would advise you to go to your local Chemist and speak with them re what meds to take with you re anti-gastro/vomiting as a precaution.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,676 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

We have been travelling to Fiji for over 23 years and have never had Dengue Fever or food poisining and we have stayed in some pretty remote areas at times and drunk the local water and eaten the local food. Fijians are very clean people. If you are worried take some Acidophilis Capsules with you and take one a day starting about a week before you go and continue for the duration of your stay. Also Imodium is handy to take in case of a tummy bug. Don't use anything with Deet in it if you are usuing sunscreen as it produces a pretty toxic coktail which is absorbed into your skin. Antihistimine tabs like Telfast one a day helps combat bites but use your aerogard too. Stop worrying and enjo your holiday

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

You don't mention when you are going over, but it doesn't hurt to take vitamin B complex tablet every day for around a month before you go over. The mozzies don't seem to like the smell of you & you get bitten a lot less. It wouldn't hurt to buy some mozzie coils over there also. They sold them on Plantation so I gather you could get them on the mainland.

The food is great over there, I wouldn't worry to much about that. Just don't buy from the shop if it doesn't look clean, same as in Aus. The Fijians rely on the tourists so they aren't going to risk a bad reputation from crook food.

Don't panic & enjoy your holiday.

Cheers

Melbourne
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

I went to fiji about a year or so ago, and stayed at the shangri-la resort. The 2nd night there I ate at the beach bar and grill. I got food poisoning as bad as you can possible imagine, i have NEVER felt such terrible pain in my life. I was taken to a hospital with broken windows etc, and got eaten by mosquitos.. I believe i had approx 17 bites just on one leg. I did not get sick from this, however due to the food poisoning i was out of action for the whole trip (literally couldnt walk for more than about 2 minutes at a time), and a week or so afterwards. I took notice of the food handling after I got sick (My room was almost directly opposite the beach bar and grill) and I saw people carrying trays of meat around in the hot sun. I would really seriously suggest to everyone not to eat the meat, atleast not at that particular resteraunt!

Level Contributor
50 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

Hooked on Fiji-

Your comment about mixing DEET and sunscreen just caught my eye. I just bought a strong DEET insect repellant for our trip to Australia and Fiji in 3 weeks. What happens if you use both at the same time??????????? Also, aren't the mosquitoes worse inland than by the water? Or because Denarau was built over a mangrove swamp, will the mosquitoes be out in FULL force? I am starting by B-12 right now! BUt maybe I should return the DEET products - wasn't cheap.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

Re dengue fever

Have a look at www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue

It has all the info you need re Dengue Fever mosquitoes - habitat and prevention.

Re deet products..

We were on the Coral Coast and Malolo recently and just used Tropical strength Aerogaurd and lit a mosquito coil now and then. Mossies weren't bad in either place. The stronger Deet products can be a bit savage if you have sensitive skin, particularly the stick types. Be careful using with young children.

Level Contributor
50 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

Just did some research and it is the new products that combine DEET and sunscreen together that are not recommended. They need to be applied separately. The cdc.gov website I looked at said to apply the sunscreen first and then the DEET products. Also, it is not Vitamin B complex for mosquitoes- must take vitamim B1 or thiamine. Mixed reviews on whether it truly works, but it can't hurt.

8. Re: Concerned about Dengue Fever and food in Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 07:19