We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji in January 2010

Sydney
3 posts
Save Topic
Fiji in January 2010

Hi, we're off to Fiji in January family of 4 with 2 young children. I'm a little afraid of the cyclone warnings etc that they say hit Fiji at this time of year. Should i really be this comcerned.? We're staying at the Sofitel on Denarau and then off to Plantation island. Im trying my hardest to think positive and just go and relax. Am i over thinking?

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
734 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji in January 2010

Hi Aleka1979

Don’t be too concerned Fiji has cyclones and so do the Whitsunday islands in Australia but you would go there in February and not even think about it, you have more chance getting injured driving a car around Sydney in February than in a cyclone in Fiji. The resorts on Denarau are large solid buildings built to withstand whatever mother nature throws at them it may get little wet under foot outside at times as it will rain at his time of year but mainly in the afternoon it will be a little dryer on the Island, Chill out and enjoy your holiday remember Fiji time

Dave

O and by the way the Denaru & Plantation are not on the Coral Coast

Sydney
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji in January 2010

Thanks Dave, bit more reassurring for me. I guess with the kids i worry a little more.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
545 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji in January 2010

As Dave has said, don't be too concerned, the weather is unpredictable and if a cyclone does come near, the resorts are well prepared and they (cyclones) usually pass through fairly quickly. Relax, look forward to your holiday you'll have a great time.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji in January 2010

Agree with Dave, don't worry too much about it. Weather is very hard to predict. I myself booked a holiday at Daydream Island at the beginning of this year. How was I too know that cyclone Hamish was going to show up!!! Still went on the holiday and had a fantastic time. :)

Oh and I have a 3 year old are are returning to Fiji in March next year and not worried about it one bit..........what will be will be :)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji in January 2010

They have had heavy rain and winds but not a cyclone for many many years.

Even if they did you would be well looked after they get plenty of notice and usually evacuate you to the mainland if necessary. Go and enjoy and stop worrying or you won't have a good holiday.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji in January 2010

January for the past couple of years has been bad with local flooding in and around Nadi during the middle 2 weeks on an island you will not notice this but during these times all the resorts fully update holiday makers and some times it may mean changes to transfers or boat times coming back in from the islands and other time things are perfect. While this year just gone did not actually have a cyclone declared they did have a good down poor of rain for a couple of days which caused the flooding in and around Nadi. While the rain was short it did take a while for the waters to recede. The main road leading out to Denarau was cut of for a couple of days only but customers needing to make flights were taken by boat up the coast a short distance in order to make a coach transfer to the airport! You really can't worry to much it is the rain season in Fiji and sometimes you will be lucky to have no rain and other times not! But you should still take your holiday and just make sure you take out travel insurance just in case! Plenty of other tourists travel at that time of the year! I have been a few times during the rain season and January and had great weather and apart from an afternoon shower which i love or a bit of rain overnight has been great holidays every time!

7. Re: Fiji in January 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2010, 05:33