We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Hi

I am travelling to Fiji from 2 May - 11 May 2011 and having trouble deciding where to stay. We are 29yrs old, I will be travelling with my husband and 8 month old son .

I am thinking the coral coast as my husband loves the ocean and i have read that Denarau isn't very nice for swimming and we don't want to be too far from Nadi.

At the moment I am tossing up between Outrigger on the Lagoon and the Intercontinental. The price at IC is almost double of the Outrigger so just want some advice from people that have been to both and is the IC worth the extra money or is the Outrigger a good choice??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Hi, If it were me, i'd choose Outrigger. We are big fans and go there a couple of times a year as we have a 3 y.o and a 5 y.o. The pool and kids club is fabulous and there are loads of different food options to suit younger children as well as a lovely fine dining restaurant at the other end of the spectrum. We have visited IC for a day and thought it was beautiful and the kids pool was gorgeous however I think it is geared a little more to adults and golfers whereas we find the Outrigger is a great all-round family centric hotel.

The weather and beach will be better and the accommodation etc newer at IC but if it's double the cost i don't think you'll get double the value.

Regards

Fenella

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Hi there, we are also travelling in May with another family both having 2 kids aged 5 and 8. We have been to Fiji 2 years ago but went to Treasure Island, it was absolutely fantastic for the kids. The water/beach is just incredible, I don't think you will get it like that on the mainland. Saying that, this time we are planning to go back to Treasure but also have time on the Coral Coast. We too are just in the process of deciding between the Outrigger and the Intercontinental. If you have the option, I would really recommend an island stay for part of the trip. My quotes for 7 nights on treasure and 3 at the intercontinental or the outrigger were just about the same price, so not sure why you are getting quotes at double the price...perhaps for a longer stay its a lot more...anyway let me know if you find out any further information - its hard when you have no idea what they are like! I am more persuaded towards the IC as its fairly new and alot of the older resorts in Fiji can be quite run down....

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

We did think of doing an island or two part trip but my husband would prefer to be closer to mainland with our 8 month old incase anything happened to him while on holidays, wanted to know we were closer to drs/hospitals just incase that's why we have choosen Coral Coast. Also with an 8 month old we decided to just book one place as it won't be as relaxing to get up half way through our stay and go somewhere else. I am getting quotes for the outrigger for 9 nights plus all meals & transfers for approximately $3300 (we had already booked flights ages ago) whereas with the IC it is coming to around $3000 just for the room and breakfast, no lunch or dinner and no transfers. Who are you booking your stay through?

Adelaide, SA
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

wow $3300!!!! Have a look on travelonline.com.au they do 10night deals with free transfers and kids eat free for $861 per person - a much better deal i'd say. We're planning on going to fiji mid year and i've be TA crazy and have been told by many people that meal deals arent always that great. Considering there are other resorts around Outrigger, it may be nice to leave the resort and have a look around and have lunch/dinner somewhere else, experience different places and different meals.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Hi, also recommend Outrigger. It's great for families, we were there in Sept 2008 and found the accommodation to be very comfortable. Check with the resort (email) , u may be able to buy a meal plan for part of your stay and not for all meals. Bfast and dinner may be a better option and for lunch there are very nice and reasonably priced cafes next door, such as Le Cafe, the restaurant/cafe in the Bedarra, and further along the road there is Casablanca for pizza.

Agree with EmiGurl- $3,300 is ridiculous. The quote from your TA is per person. If you check out travelnow.com or expedia.com.au the rates are per room and easily booked online. Haven't used travelonline.com.au but am sure the rate will be cheaper than what u were quoted.

You could also email the Outrigger re. transfers by private car- could be approx FJD$100-$120 for all of you (1 way) which is fine when converted to AUD. With 9 days there you can spend a day at Natadola beach for something different , have lunch at the IC and check out the resort. If you have any further questions, let me know. Good luck!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

I am getting quotes through Flight Centre and Pacific Holidays. Maybe its more for land only. They do tend to charge land only fees. Our is coming in at around $6500 for 2 adults to kids, all flights transfers, meals, 7 nights treasure and 4 nights at the Outrigger. Its just over that (less than $100) for the same but with the IC (b'fast and dinner only). I really recommend the meal plan. We had it at Treasure and it was fantastic. The food was great, and we didn't go with high expectations having read forums. If you enjoy food (as most of us do when on holidays) I recommend a meal plan. You can always look into prices of the meals online etc to see if its worth it. If you have an 8 month old maybe not, with kids I think meals/drinks can get expensive. Will let you know if I get any other cheaper quotes!

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

The $3300 is for the 3 of us, not per person. By the comments i have recieved i am now learning more towards the Outrigger.

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Yeah so are we...think we will be going with that too!

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

Hi- on travelnow.com , if you were to book today for 9 nights at Outrigger in May, for 2 adults and child under 1 years of age, a superior resort view room (no meals) is $1,554.78; a deluxe ocean view room (no meals) is $1,950.36. Hope this helps

sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger on the Lagoon vs Intercontinental Fiji Golf Resort

we are going next week with our 6 month old and 3 year old. We are splitting the trip between the IC and the outrigger. I agree wit travelonline - we booked the outrigger part through them and got a great deal. having said that i have a membership with priorityprivilege which gives special deals on both accomodation and meals at the intercon (effectively one adult eats free when you eat together). Also kids eat free (not relevant for an 8 mth old but just in case others are looking. so the IC can end up fairly worthwhile. we were worried we would go a bit stir crazy after over a week in the one resort so wanted to try both. went to the IC soon after it opened - daughter was around 18 mths then, and it was great..