We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

Canberra
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

We are planning on staying at the Intercontinental Hotel in August with 2 kids aged 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 (total 2 adults 2 kids) A few questions;

- best room to stay in - better down by the lagoon or up on the hill - 2 bedrooms needed for lunchtime naps and early to bed kids? Suites or 2 bed rooms? I am having trouble finding information on the details of each of the rooms

- is it worthwhile purchasing the Priority Privilege Card or Ambassator program etc to get upgrades to Club Level (and can anyone expand on this?), discounts on food etc. There seems to be a huge gap in pricing between the

- are meal plans worthwhile?

- is the private transfer from the airport by landcruiser still available? Should be take a carseat for the 1.5 year old?

- better to book via travel agent or online?

Thanks in advance!

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
369 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

Hi livvie6, although I have not stayed at this hotel I have done a bit of research into it as I have 3 kids. By the sounds of what everyone says, with kids you are much better off down in the main area of the hotel, but this is not club level. That is up on the hill. I decided if I stayed we would not stay up on the hill (where the 2 bedroom rooms are) as we like to be close to everything with the kids.

So the only option left for us is having 2 rooms, as they won't put 5 of us in 1 room. You would also need 2 rooms if you wanted separate sleeping areas for the kids. So this all makes it very expensive. Then you have to worry about getting the rooms interconnecting and having then guarantee it!!

Needless to say I would love to stay here but not sure we can with our family dynamic.

Also from what I can gather they won't let kids into the beachfront or lagoon suites (which are bigger), but only in the normal garden rooms. Which is a little odd as the suites are bigger.

So I am not sure if I have helped or confused you even more but I am eagerly awaiting what others have to say.

Kat

Australia
Level Contributor
610 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

We had 2 kids aged 1 and 4 and we booked the beachfront suite. Had to use existing bedding (king) and a cot. Had only one bedroom but we put kids to bed then had separate area to watch Tv or eat room service later in the living area.

We used private landcruiser and they provided a car seat.

We booked everything direct. We had a priority privilege membership which saved us a heap on 50% off dining, two free nights with vouchers, etc. Ambassador club is room upgrade and late checkout. Club wasn't open when we went but it is far up on a hill and we loved the beachfront suites as close to everything.

Enjoy!!

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

We've just come back and I would recommend booking a 2 bedroom club room. we have 3 kids and the 2nd bedroom was big enough for the 3 of them. We loved the big living area and having a large seperate bedroom for us.

You are high up on the hill, but we're talking a 5 min walk down to the pools / beach. This wasn't a problem for us and I enjoyed the walk back up the hill. There are buggies to take you around instead if you don't want to walk.

Email or call the resort directly and they will send you floor plans of the various rooms and answer any other questions you have. Enjoy!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,727 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

Interesting how things change. When we stayed there the Club rooms had not been completed. But we were told these would be excellent for those who wanted to get away from all the kids down at the bottom. In fact, I thought that children were to be excluded from some of the facilities up in the club room section.

adelaide
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

Hi what did you decide on as im thinking the same thing. have 2 children aged 5 & 2 and wanted to use a priority privilege card for discounts etc. what rooms did you stay in?

6. Re: Best room type at Intercontinental, Priority Privilege, etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:19