We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money in fiji

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
money in fiji

I'm taking my 2 kids to Fiji in Oct and we are staying at the Warwick.

How much money should we take in Fiji dollars ?

fares/ accommodation/ meals/ transfers/taxes are all paid for.. - drinks aren't included so I want to add an upgrade to the package once I get there if I can and other costs like tours or extra activities, souvenirs, transport will be another cost while we are there (not sure what options there are) ...I'm not keen on using my credit card or travelers cheque as I've not used them before, but don't want to get stuck with extra Fiji cash if I don't use it and the security of carrying around cash or leaving it in our room / carrying it around ..when we are swimming etc worries me.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money in fiji

Hi Cathy - we usually change about AU$500 before we leave which gives us about FJD$850 - $900 and take another AU$500 of which we MAY change another $200 depending on what we've been doing. We use our cash for taxis, snacks, coffee & other small purchases when we're out & about but put everything else on the credit card including day trips, restaurant meals etc. Anything in the resort you can book to your room and then just pay in one lump sum on your card when you leave. The exchange rate on your credit card is normally heaps better than exchanging and paying in cash. If you have cash left over at the end of your trip - you can always change it back to AU$.

As for security, most rooms have a small room safe where you can store valuables or reception/office areas of resorts also offer secure storage. You can leave your passports and extra cash there but don't forget to get them out before you leave :) (don't laugh - I've done it and had to get our passports/travel docs forwarded on to our next resort - luckily we weren't at the airport!) We usually have a backpack with us wherever we go for books, towels, sunscreen etc so just keep our wallets with us and as much cash as we're likely to need.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money in fiji

Good advice from tez. I would not bother with travellers cheques, often long queues at banks (if you can get to a bank), and the exchange rate the hotels give will not be to your advantage. I recommend using your credit card - or if you don't like the idea of that what about the new debit cards the banks are promoting now - use like a CC but preloaded with cash. Your drinks at the resort will be charged to your room so you can pay by card when you leave. You will only need FJ cash for purchases from local shops and taxis.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money in fiji

Charge as much as you can to your room, some hotels allow you to charge tours to your room too that way you only have the one charge to the CC and reduce fees. The new debit card that you can load with Fiji dollars at home be fore you leave is a good idea as you can watch the exchange rates and load it up when they are good. You only to require a small amount of ready cash then.

Not long to go now, hope you have a great time.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money in fiji

HI thanks for the responses

The travel agent has recommended changing money in Fiji at Western Union - its also right near their Fiji office at Nadi apparently (where we will be met)

I have visa debit card via my local building society linked to a savings account - I use it here for eftpos - would I be able to use it in Fiji or would I need a different one ?

I would prefer a debit card to using my credit card if that was possible.

I haven't traveled OS before (intend to fix that from here on !!!) so my apologies for my rookie questions lol

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money in fiji

The only thing I would say about using your debit card is rather than withdrawing money straight from your savings account, see if you can actually put money on the card account to use while you are away. Just a bit more secure. Alternatively, you can get single use Visa Debit cards especially for travelling. The biggest thing you have to be aware of with debit cards is that most have a very low daily limit so can be a bit awkward when going to settle the bill at the end of your stay.

You could always deposit money to your credit card before you leave so that you are only using your own money rather than credit. Maybe you should speak to your BS to further discuss your options.

Changing money at Western Union is OK as long as you don't need any cash before you get there. We change at Australia Post before we leave so that we have the cash in our hot little hands on arrival. You don't want to be stuck with no money if you need it.

6. Re: money in fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 00:16