We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phones / Pay Phones

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phones / Pay Phones

We'll be off to the Outrigger later this year and wondering if it's better to put our mobile phones on roaming or if we should get a prepaid service while over there??

Does anyone know if the outrigger has a pay-phone available for guests?? I remember my last trip to Fiji (15 yrs ago) we had to pay for our outgoing calls, even though we used a prepaid phone card.

Geelong - Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phones / Pay Phones

hi, we have been to Fiji twice in the last two years and are heading back next month. DONT USE GLOBAL ROAMING!!! I have got a local pre-paid sim card both times and get awesome rates. Last time I even had a data allowance as well as calls. Do some research on google and see which provider is currently giving the best deals. I would leave this until just before you travel as their deals change fairly regularly. I'm about to do this right now, hope this helps!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phones / Pay Phones

I've just come back from Fiji and can answer both questions.

No, the Outrigger does not have pay phones.

Also, when you come into Nadi there is a Vodafone store that issues free sim cards to visitors. If you bring your own phone it should be sweet. Make sure it is fully unlocked as I came across the problem of taking an Aust Vodafone handset assuming it would work, as it's both Vodafone. Nope, apparently mine was locked to Vodafone Aust and would not work in Fiji. I ended up going to the Vodafone store in Sigatoka and buying a cheap handset, along with a $29 USB dongle for my internet.

Another tip is that Wed-Fri Vodafone have some special on recharge where you get heaps more credit.

Lastly, Vodafone have a current special of 20c per minute for calls to Australia, landline AND mobiles. Why would you bother with anything else at those rates?

Cheers,

Rock

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phones / Pay Phones

Ditto what RockGod70 stated, we purchased a sim card and dongle for our time in Fiji. Call rates by mobile to Australia were cheap as. We would have only used 300Mb of data on the dongle but was great for what we needed. We made one call from the room back to Australia and it cost over $70.00AUD, didn't do that again. Calls via Vodafone to Australia were like less than $2.00 for 25 minutes!

Don't use global roaming!

4. Re: Mobile phones / Pay Phones

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2014, 06:17