We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money in Fiji

melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money in Fiji

Just wondering if anyone could advise me how to organise my money for a 10 day trip to Fiji .... We are staying at the Outrigger on the lagoon for the whole time and probably going to Sigatoka shopping few times. Should we take travellers cheques,us dollars or just our debit cards or all of the above. Outside of the resort we just do to know what would be the easiest and most accepted forms of payment. One other question might be are there ATM s anywhere nearby?? Cheers Lee

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money in Fiji

You need Fiji dollars - easy to get at the airport in Nadi when you arrive. You can probably book all resort purchases to your room and pay with credit card on check out, but you will need cash for local shops. Bigger tourist shops will accept credit cards.

melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money in Fiji

Thanks for that info, that is what we thought but after the airport is there anywhere else we can get Fiji dollars, like at our resort ?? Just don't want to get lots of cash at once, just as we go and as we need it .... If you know what I mean. Maybe I should check with outrigger ..... Thanks again

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money in Fiji

at the Nadi airport you can exchange money at the ANZ bank or use the ANZ ATM or you can use Western Union

this link has a video showing you where everything is

fijitraveltips.com/index.php/recently-asked-…

at the town Sigatoka about 7mins car ride from the Outrigger Resort is banks with ATM machines - ANZ, WESTPAC, PACIFIC Bank etc

melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Money in Fiji

Thanks heaps for that info, excellent you have been so very helpful :)

Bathurst, NSW...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money in Fiji

Definitely don't do travellers cheques, so old fashioned, too many fees,etc. so many better options these days. Take a mix of cash, credit/debit card or a pre paid travel card. Your local financial institution will give you a competitive rate, and may be able to give you an idea of what other travellers are taking at the moment (I work in a bank). Depending on what type of eftpos card you have, you may also be able to use that in local ATMs. Westpac and ANZ also have branches there in large towns. Enjoy your holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money in Fiji

We're currently staying down the road from Outrigger and changed money at Western Union in Sigatoka yesterday, exchange rate was $1AUD = $1.70 FJD. Hotel rate was $1.63FJD. Cheers

7. Re: Money in Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 07:17