We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any short (half day or less) tours in the Coral Coast area? I would like to take our children to visit a village and school, however I know the full day tours which involve a lot of walking would be too much for them. Also, our budget is pretty much maxed out, we will bring some stationary items for the children and happy to make a cash donation to the school, but we can't really afford the $400+ dollars per family a lot of the day tours seem to cost. Any help would be appreciated!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

I meant $400+ AUD. $400 Fijian would be ok

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
395 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Tours are very expensive and I often wonder how much of the money is past onto the school/village... I would contact schools/villages directly to organise a time to visit... Maybe try Nadromai Primary School in Sigatoka (ph: 650 0000)... They may be able to give you contact details for a nearby village as well so that you can organise a village tour... If attending a village, there are a few village customs you should be aware of:

* it is custom to take 1kg of kava for the chief (there are a number of kava shops you can purchase this from, kava shops are also called grog shop)

* Caps/hats are not to be worn in the village

* ladies should wear long pants or dresses/skirts that cover your knees... When seated you should not have your knees exposed either

* Do not touch anyone (even kids) on the head as this is seen as disrespectful

* do not venture away from your host, they do not like it when visitors wonder through the village on their own... at the end of the day the village is their home and I know I wouldn't like strangers wondering through my house :)

* ask permission to take photos prior to taking them

A school visit & village visit is a must I think.. It will be an eye opener to how those in a developing county live... Fijians are very kind & friendly, so the school & village will really open up their school/home to you & your family... Good luck & enjoy your holiday! :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Thank you so much, that is very helpful.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Coastal inland tours have a special deal going. Adults fjd$99 for each of their three tours -school trip, waterfall r river tour. They are half day tours all with pick up, lunch, small group and local knowledge.

Message me if you want more info

Cardiff Australia
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

Where on the coral coast are you staying? Most resorts do a village tour to a local village in the resort daily activities. I know the Outrigger do a tour to Malevu Village for $10FJ. Shangri La also do a village tour. We have visited 3 different schools on the Coral Coast, each time we just spoke to staff at the resorts that we were at & they organised a visit for us, they even got the principal to organise a mini performance for us as they were expecting our visit. Sigatoka District School was my favourite. The school visits were such a highlight of our holiday!

6. Re: Shorter village tours on Coral Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18