We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Hi. We are planning our holiday and many of the resorts offer meal plans for either 2 or 3 meals per day - are they worth the money? We have never been there so not sure on cost and options for meals out. I know places like Bali and Phuket are so cheap and offer so many choices but have no idea on Fiji and if there are many options outside of the hotels?

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Hi. It totally depends on the specific resorts. I recently stayed at naviti and found their all inclusive package to be amazing value, it includes all meals, and alcoholic drinks.

Abs :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Yeap, can second that at Naviti.

I should also add that I can be a little ocd and like the all inclusive as it helps with budgeting. Am going back in October and have just paid all my accommodation, meals and transfers. All that leaves is the incidentals and grog bill at the end.

Hope this helps a little

Baz

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Food in Fiji is a LOT more expensive than the likes of Bali and Thailand and on the whole, it's pretty average but you don't go to Fiji for the food!

As to whether you should get a meal plan or not, depends on where you are staying (this will determine how good the meal plan is and the outside dining options available) and how much you like to eat. We tend to only eat breakfast and dinner when we're in Fiji as the buffet breakfasts are usually big enough that we're not hungry at lunchtime. Because of that, we don't find the full meal plans (breakfast, lunch and dinner) very good value and spend less money paying as we go. However, if we stayed somewhere that offered a breakfast and dinner plan, it might work out cheaper. Also, if you stay somewhere with good eating options outside the resort, then it can be better to pay as you go and eat outside the resort some of the time. You just have to do your research.

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Thank you everyone

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

Hi KB1221, do you have a short list of places that you're interested in staying? If you do and you let us know we can offer more specific advice. Fiji is very diverse when it comes to eating options. For example if you end up staying somewhere like the Outrigger (large resort on the Coral Coast) you'd have a few in-house options plus places within both walking and reasonable taxi distance to choose from. Move down the coast a bit to one of the other large resorts and your options become more limited since they are more isolated but a longer taxi ride would still provide options. Conversely head out to some of the island resorts in the Mamanuca Islands or the Yasawa Islands and you are likely to have no choice... the resort you stay at is probably the only place to go for meals so, maybe, it's better just to pay their meal plan (or in many cases it's compulsory and factored in with your reservation).

It really does depend on where you're thinking of staying so if you know, or have preferences, let us know and there's bound to be someone here that can give you the low down of what to expect food wise in that location.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

You certainly sound like you know fiji. We have 8 nights booked at the outrigger from the 24th nov. We have brekky included but could you tell me what's nearby ( walking or taxi) that you could recommend? Thanks janine

7. Re: Hotel Meal plans vs pay as you go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 05:15