We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
215 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

I might have to go to Dhaka end of March.

Are there any noteworthy monument and attractions that I should make sure to visit?

Also, is there another places outisde Dhaka one should absolutely visit such as a beautiful landscape or historic landmark? Evn if that means staying overnight...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

We found Dhaka itself does not have too much in the way of noteworthy monuments. Lalbagh Fort of which little is left and Curzon Hall were the highlites for us. There is not too much near to the city other than maybe the old city of Sonargoan. We spent 15 days logging over 4000 km by road and saw some amazing ruined Zaminder palaces, ancient mosques, Hindu temples, and Bhuddist monasteries also lying in ruins. These sites require more time though. For us however, the best part of Bangladesh was the people that live there and there are a lot of them. They are some of the nicest people we have ever encountered anywhere in the world.

I would advise you to get a guide and driver (we used Tiger Tours but there are others of course) and just go to different parts of the city and walk around. Lalbaugh Fort is on the river so be sure to go down to the docks and watch the river traffic for a while. Also walk some of the narrow streets of Old Dhaka. You will be amazed at how often someone will walk up to you and start a conversation.

I realize this may not be what you are looking for but to us this was one of our best tours ever. If you do go, enjoy your stay.

denmark
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

I´m doing research for my upcomming trip and do think Dhaka have a lot to offer so maybe you can use some og this:

Old Dhaka, Ahzan Manjil (the pink palace), Shakari Bazar (Hindu street) Dhakeshwari Temple, The Armenian church, Sar Mosque etc , cuzon hall, Liberation war museum, The parliament house

Dhaka's main waterfront, Sadarghat, is on the banks of the river Buriganga in Old Dhaka and is crowded with various ferries, yachts, paddle steamers, fisherman's boats and floating dhabas all bustling with activity.

www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa…

For more inspirations

http://guidetours.com/

Kirsten

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
215 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

Thank you both for your advice.

I sort of expected that Dhaka would not have a 'extraordinary' sight, but I definitely can understand that the city is still worth seeing to understand the local culture and people.

I guess I was wondering if there was some famous ancient ruin that I should absolutely see, but from both your posts, I guess I will stick to Dhaka.. It's a very big city in itself so I'm sure I'll have lots to do.

UK
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

Hi,

Just came back from Dhaka a few days ago.

Personally due to the high amount of traffic it is quite difficult to travel within the city.

However what I can suggest to many is going on a rickshaw ride. I prefer riding a rickshaw through the Dhaka university area, or around Sangshad Bhaban (parliament house).

IMO on an overnight trip there isnt much to see in Dhaka itself. In order to see the beauty of Bangladesh you need to venture out of Dhaka.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
866 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

Most places of natural scenery are in the north east and south east (Sylhet and bandarban/CHT area) and you will definitely need an overnight trip for them

6. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 12:38
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
45 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

In Dhaka, i recommend Ahzan Manzil in old Dhaka, Karjon hall, parliament house, liberation war museum.

Dhaka is too crowded. And If this is your first time in Bangladesh, you would find it very difficult to cope with the traffic jam. It may take an hour to travel 5 to 7 kilometers.

If you have time, i suggest you go out of Dhaka. My favourites are Bandarban, Rangamati and Saint Martin. Outskirt of Sylhet is also nice, you can go to Madhabkundu and Jaflong, see some tea gardens and have 7 layer tea in Srimangal, Sylhet.

Have a nice trip.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
215 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

Thank you..

What part of Dhaka is Old Dhaka exactly?

Ahsan Manjil seems quite nice..

Lablagh Fort however doesn't seem to have much left inside (I recently visited the Red Fort in Delhi and was very disappointed. I feel it might be the same feeling that prevails here..)

Curzon Hall: I'm guessing the area would be nice to walk around.. Can't tell much from the pictures i've seen online..

We will be landing around noon and staying at the Westin... Assuming we would arrive at the Westin and complete check-in by 2PM, would it be realistic to visit Curzon Hall, Ahsan Manzil the Parliament in one afternoon? Perhaps 3-4 hours...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

I don't think you would have the time to do everything. It took us 7 hrs including a stop for lunch. If you were disappointed in the Red Fort you will be even more so with Lalbagh. My apologies for my earlier post saying it's on the river. It is actually near the river as the river has changed course since it was built. The fort and Ahsan Manjil are in Old Dhaka but I don't know where that is in relation to your hotel. Maybe someone from Dhaka can explain it better.

10. Re: Main Sights and Attraction in Dhaka/Bengladesh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 February 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Dhaka Division
Recent Conversations