We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Questions of 2013

Shropshire
Level Contributor
545 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
1st Questions of 2013

Just booked our flights and accommodation in Ornos for early May. We are seasoned Greek Island travellers but never been to Mykonos before.

Easy questions first:

Will most places (tavernas etc) open up by the first weekend in May?

Is there a Shuttle bus from the airport to Ornos (that would meet an Easyjet flight)? If so could a link be posted because I can't find such a service.

I've seen posts about the Island bus routes and times: I'll wait until nearer the time or when I'm there to check up to date details.

Is there a brewery on the Island?

Is there a Vineyard to visit?

Thanks in advance for whatever answers come my way.

<*))))))><

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

Taverna openings: Many tavernas will be open by the beginning of May, especially since Greek Easter is later this year. However, not everything will be open (there will be a number of shops, restaurants, galleries and even some hotels and studio rental properties still preparing to open over the course of the month). No worries, though -- there will be plenty of places to choose from and you'll still enjoy yourselves.

Shuttle bus: Have never heard of any kind of shuttle between the airport and Ornos. Check with your hotel to see if they provide a transfer service. Some hotels offer it for free, while others charge a fee for the service. Your only other option is to take a taxi.

Bus routes: Always best to check once you get to the island because the schedules do change. When I got to Mykonos in mid-May last year there was no service whatsoever to Elia beach, but buses were added to the schedule while I was on the island. If you check through recent forums posts, you'll see links to photos I took in May 2011 and May 2012 of the bus schedules; those will give you an idea of the frequency of service to explain this year.

Brewery: Never heard of one on Mykonos (Santorini has its Yellow Donkey Brewery)

Vineyard: Have not seen or been to one on the island yet, but here is a website link to the Vineyard of Mykonos where you can find more informatiion: http://www.mykonos-wines.gr/en.html

Twyning, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

The local wine is Paraportiano, it comes in Red and White, the red is better than the white! It comes from Ano Mera and Marathi in the centre of the island. It is widely available in restaurants and shops.

the vineyard referred to above is by Nico Lazaridi - a big wine grower in greece.

www.vinalia.com.gr/greek_wine_producers/292/ has some photos and details of the development. 00302289071927 is contact number to see if they are open

Shropshire
Level Contributor
545 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

Thank you for the swift and comprehensive replies: I might need your help again before May, so keep checking this forum please. Any questions about Grimsby Town FC or Real Ale then I'm your man! Feel free to ask on either subject.

I like the sound of the Yellow Donkey brewery: does anyone on Mykonos stock their beers?

<*))))))><

4. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2013, 13:35
Edited: 13 February 2013, 13:35
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

taxi rom airport to ornos last year cost us 15 euros -10 mins

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

Get the boat and visit Delos Island if you can.

It's an archaelogical site, formerly the largest trading centre of Europe.

Also Paros, Naxos, and Santorini Islands are nice if you can get there in May by ferry.

Try Mythos beer, its like a "real ale" lager.

Nice beaches at San Stefanos, Aghia Ioannis, Plati Gialos.

Nice pub:Skandinavian Bar.

I will be there next week in Mykonos also.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

We are currently In Mykonos and have found that the vast majority of things that weren't open for the end of April opened yesterday in time for Greek Easter.

8. Re: 1st Questions of 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Ornos
Recent Conversations