We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

I'm trying to book an snorkeling tour to explore Hilutungan and Pandanon FROM Hilutungan since that is where we are staying. The resort we're staying at (Island and Sun) quoted the trip at 100USD (about 4600 PHP) PER PERSON which seems unusually high. I've seen tours advertised from Mactan Island to Pandanon for 2000 - 3000 PHP (43-65 USD). Because we're a couple, we'd be paying $200 for this day trip to an island that's pretty close by. As far as I can tell the distance between Hilutungan and Pandanon isn't so great so I can't imagine it's the cost of gasoline (the trip from Mactan takes 40 minutes to Pandanon so I'm guessing from Hilutungan, it'll be 20-30 minutes).

What is also puzzling is that the resort's island-hopping tour to the three islands surrounding Hilutungan is priced at $60 (2800 PHP) per person. Am I being ripped off or is there something I'm unaware of?

Can anyone PLEASE tell me how much a snorkeling trip for Hilutungan and Pandanon from Hilutungan should be? I don't think there are any other resorts on Hilutungan so I'm not so sure if I'll be able to find someone else to even do the snorkeling trip at a more reasonable price. Would it be possible to commission a boat from Mactan to Hilutungan to do the snorkeling trip? Any recommendations?

I would sincerely appreciate any help/advice. Thanks!

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

Hello Sir,

I live here on Mactan Island for many years. I can tell you if you are trying to go through the resort, more than likely you are paying a lot higher price than you should. The resorts always have the highest prices, of course they also have a large overhead that they need to recover.

The normal island hopping for Hilutungan and Pandanon are a bit more expensive than the other islands. Distance, time, fees make these the most two expensive island to hop to. But still you can find better prices than you have now. You can check out this link

cebutourguide.com/Tours/HTML/islandpicnic.htm

I would suggest that possible to tell the travel agent or booking firm, that you are already on Hilutungan and only wish to visit Pandanon. I am sure they can arrange that for you. Try to negoiate with them since most of the tour prices have a starting point of Mactan Island.

I would suggest you might think about starting your trip from Mactan Island, you will find more vendors ready to help you with what you want, then you might find on Hilutungan.

They are some boats you can commission personally here for island hopping with snorkling, from P 3500 and up.......

Try the link above and if that does not help you, then give me personal message, and i will help you find something that will fit your needs.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

First of all, the use of boat does not count per hour but per day.

Even if you will use the boat for only 1 hour the charges still the same.

Second, the boat docking point is at Mactan Island, Even if your pick up is at Island & Sun it won't lower the cost because the boat will still consume gasoline from Mactan Island going to your place.

Regular travel time from Hilutungan Island to Pandanon is about 40 minutes to 1 hour that depends on the speed of your boat and depends on the current flow of the water.

Enjoy your Island Hopping Tour

Bohol Island...
Level Contributor
181 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

my friend was able to rent a boat 2500-3500 Php for the whole boat for the whole day here in Mactan for those islands. there is a very minimal fee for the island if you snorkel (I think Pandanon is only Php100) so just ask and compare prices. you can also find some ads at Cebuclassifieds.com so you can compare prices among travel agents if you book thru them.

the boat I told you is already big. you have to bring your food & drinks if you book directly with the boats that start near the Portofino resort of near the Hilton resort. If you want me to give you the contact number, just PM me, I will get it from my friend so you can call them directly.

Edited: 21 February 2010, 15:44
Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

Hello again,

I agree with exotictravelbug,

But if you will check the tour packages available, they include all the fees for the islands, the mask, fins and set for snorkling and also a shore lunch is included. So if you get a great deal for 2500 for a boat, then they will ask you P 500 per pax for the fins and mask for snorkling, then you pay the island fees of P 100 each, that will be P 200. Then you bring your own food and drinks, that will cost you additional. I would think to check on all the things you will have to buy and add up the cost compared to a package deal.

5. Re: Island-Hopping from Hilutungan to Pandanon, Rip off?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 07:16