We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

Is the snorkeling off the beach where Hilton is located any good?

Can anyone recommend good dive or snorkeling sites and/or dive/snorkel operators?

Thanks!

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

Directly off the Beach at Hilton is not any good. Its mostly real shallow waters, and lots of boat traffic.. The best snorkeling is at Hiltugulan Island which is only a short boat ride away from Hilton.. Hiltugulan is a Protected Fish Sanctuary and has some of the best snorkeling in PI...

Most snorkeling trips include a island hopping adventure.. If you only take a snorkeling trip, you will pay just about as the same as a island hopping adventure.. I would suggest to go ahead with the island hopping, its better value for your money...

They are many good dive and snorkeling operators here. They are also some bad ones. I can recommend these

Diving - http://www.funsundivetravel.com/

Snorkeling / Island Hopping- …blogspot.com/2010/06/cebu-cheap-tours-from-…

http://www.cebutourguide.com/index.htm

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

Should I try to book something in advance or book when I arrive? Will I see plenty of tourist brochures at the airport? I'll only be there Fri-Sun.

Is the Shangri-la's House reef worth paying 1800P for?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

Walroose, when I snorkelled off Mactan near Hilton three months ago by hiring a bangka, the experience was reasonable but far from the best I have enjoyed in Philippines.

I simply arrived at the pier and paid a ripoff rate of P2000 to go snorkelling off Olangpo Island which is not far from Mactan Island.

There were plenty of fish attracted by the 15 boats conveying snorkelling tourists: I only saw three different species of fish though, colourful though they were.

On balance, it was worth doing for an hour and a half but other locations in Philippines offer a wider variety of tropical fish.

4. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 16:16
Edited: 22 November 2010, 16:16
5. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 16:16
Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

I would suggest to book before you arrive... You can find a snorkeling boat at the pier as Victorianlad said, but also it will most likely be a ripoff price...

You can book through most resorts, but expect to pay a lot more than normal.

They will be some tourist brochures at the airport, but mostly will be Japanese and Korean... Its possible you can find some English ones. According to the stocks and if the brochure company has re supplied.. ( Some do not keep regular supplies. )

I can not comment on the Shangri La house reef, I have not been there or used it.... If its at the Shangri La, I am sure its very nice... As for the value, well its resort priced, so the value of that is up to the individual and what they want and expect.... My opinion, if i was going to spend P 1800 i would go ahead and do a island hopping, or snorkeling for about the same...

Olango Island is not at all any good for snorkeling... You will not see as many fish and species as at Hiltugulan. Last time i was out to Hiltugulan we saw a school of dolphins on our way back in... Very nice.... They did not let us get very close, but nice to see them....

Again i would suggest to shop around and you can find some good deals, with good people... The biggest mistake i see here is tourist that think they will save a lot by doing it themselves... When in fact they end up paying a lot more in the end...

TIPS : Do not trust local Street People or Guides or Tri Cycle Drivers.. Not all are bad, they are some very good ones. But very few and far between. When I say do not trust, I mean they will surely take you to what you want, but they will double the price, and not concern themselves if you are getting a quality experience..... ( This does not count for every experience, just in general the largest portion in which I have seen, heard of, and experienced..)

Other tips i can give:

* Always ask what are your inclusions, is they any extra charges, tips or anything you will have to pay....

* Detail exactly what you want, how long you want, what you expect.. Do not leave anything up for chance...

* Never pay up front if you use local or pier guides, Always pay after you have completed your tour or activity...

Hope this helps.... Good Luck and Enjoy you time here in PI and on Mactan Island. We welcome you and hope your stay is enjoyable....

7. Re: Snorkelling near Mactan / Hilton

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:16