We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mactan island vs Boracay

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Mactan island vs Boracay

This will be my 1st time visiting Philippines with my spouse and will like recommendations either which island to visit.

i am chosing between Mactan Island and Boracay. which one will be better in terms of relaxing, enjoying spa, sea sports such as jet ski etc. I also know that Boracay is more expensive in terms of the flight fee. Are there any shopping malls in mactan island or cebu city? will it be easy to acess cebu city from our resorts in mactan island?

lastly, as i am coming from singapore via cebu pacific, the flight will downtown in cebu airport at 4am, will i be able to check-in to the hotel at this hour? anyone has this encounter before?

thanks alot.

Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

u dont say how many days u will be staying? once u arrive at cebu -ur already on mactan island ,so if ur thinking of going to boracay then u would have another flight to go there, there are many malls in cebu - what hotel u are staying ? u would have to contact them about arriving early ,either they will charge u additional night or you can just leave your bags and have breakfast somewhere until they allow checkin .

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,308 posts
2,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

If its beaches you are after Boracay is hard to beat:

Ranked No 2 Tripadvisor 2011 Top 25 Beaches in the World

No 1 Tripadvisor Top 10 Beaches in Asia

No 4 Travel and Leisure Awards 2011 TOP 10 ISLANDS

Mactan Island...
Level Contributor
302 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

Hand down, Boracay is the best for beaches... If you are more into night life, shopping, spas, Mactan and Cebu City are your best choice..

They are over 4 malls here on Mactan Island, and Many more than that in Cebu City.. All very easy access from the resorts.. From Resorts on Mactan Island not more than 15 min to any mall.. Or 30 min to SM or Malls in Cebu City..

Hotel check in times are usually 2 pm.. So might want to check with your hotel on that..

Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

There is a couple of small malls in Lapu Lapu city on Mactan island. For big malls, go into Cebu City. SM Mall is about the 14th biiggest in the world. Ayala Mall is not much smaller.

Your resort on Mactan will arrange transport for you into the city.

However, for relaxing, beaches etc. You will be happier on Boracay

Checking in at 4am will not be an issue at all. The only issue is, will your resort ask you to pay for an extra night.

Regards: Jim

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
2 posts
973 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

Boracay has beautiful beaches . The sand is so white that the glare will hurt your eyes at noon. So fine is the sand that it is almost powder like. Boracy is for people who like night life. Also, lots of restaurants with fresh seafood of course. To get to Boracay, you will have to get another flight from Cebu, or from Manila if you are going there. No big malls here.

If you want convenience, Mactan should be your choice. The international airport that serves Cebu City is on Mactan. Your hotel in Mactan would probably be about half an hour away from the airport. On Mactan there is the Grand Mall going towards Marigondon. The really big malls are in Cebu City. The SM Mall would be closer if you are coming from Mactan.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

Difficult to check in at that time. Unless you face the same delay like mine years ago (4 hours delay in SIN)... If the additional flight to Boracay is the show stopper, perhaps consider Bohol. Another fellow Singaporean just did this trip report :

Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

Go for Boracay.

8. Re: Mactan island vs Boracay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2016, 06:15