We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

dumfriesshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

Its me again...... I was hoping someone could help me, I was wondering if the town of Saariselka had any local festivities around Christmas I have heard of the deceleration on the 24th , however I don't know much about it. I know we can do the tourist things such as sleigh rides etc but I love seeing local customs etc. any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

Christmas dinner and the visit of Santa on the 24th is of course the main event, and a growing number of Finns enjoy it travelling to Lapland.

These are very Finnish, but are the ones I could think of... One would be watching TV at 12:00 on the 24th when the town of Turku declares the peace of Christmas for the whole country.

Visiting a cemetery on evening of the 24th. There will be a sea of candles and there is also a corner where visitors can bring their own candle to remember their loved ones.

Another one would be going to Church at 7 AM on the 25th.

One more tradition is a horse sleigh ride on the 26th.

Christmas is very much a family thing in Finland, but I hope you will be able to get to know what the local festivities are like!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

The programme for Christmas 2012 is not out yet, but you can still have a look on plast years' programmes to have an idea what will be on offer:

www.tunturihotelli.fi/In_English/Offers.iw3…

saariselka.fi/content/events/top-safaris-chr…

saariselka.fi/content/events/christmas-and-n…

saariselka.fi/content/…

saariselka.fi/content/…

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,193 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

One thing about the candles in cemeteries: this is a private matter of relatives remembering their late loved ones, NOT a show put on for tourists. If you must take pictures, please show sensitivity and at least don't use a flash.

dumfriesshire
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

Thank you so much for all your helpful information, I am really looking forward to spending christmas in Saariselka and sampling many of the local customs and traditions.

5. Re: Locally organised festivities for Christmas in Sarriselka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 18:17