We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

London
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Hi

Would love to hear from anyone going and any tips on what to bring!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

I'm going with thomsons to saariselka on the 16th from Manchester! So excited- just sorting out the bits and pieces ready to pack on friday/Saturday! This is what I'm packing (after searching many reviews!). If you have anything to suggest please do as if never been!

Hats

Wool, fleece and ski type gloves each

Snoods for us all and balaclavas for kids

Ski and thermal socks

Salopettes (prob not needed but we had anyway - may get kids to wear under suits if very cold)

Thermal underwear

Fleece layers- fleece tops, jiggers and primark fleece pjs!

Hand warmers

Hot water bottles for kids on the sledge

Cheap Xmas fleece blankets from primark for out and about for kids!

Treats and snacks

I have bought the kids snow boots to travel in or when nipping out for tea. they were only £10 in next sale (velcro) but will use the provided ones during the day as they're likely better for long periods.

Travelling in normal winter coats etc.

Are you flying Gatwick? Where are you staying? We are at the holiday club so hav packed costumes and flip flops too!

London
Level Contributor
139 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Hi

Fantastic! I think you are much better prepared than we are! We are at Tunturi hotel with 4,8 and 10 year old children. How old are your children?

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Hi !

I have 2 girls aged 5 &7. They have never been on a winter holiday before so I've no idea how they'll react to the cold! My oldest will likely be fine as shes very adventurous but my youngest does like to whine so we'll see!!!

I started buying earlier this year as I knew I wanted to go but most of it I got in the sales or eBay etc. although I went in Aldi last week and they pretty much had everything I'd bought for half the cost so probably should have waited !

I'm a nervous flyer so as the days get closer its a mixed excitement - normally I'd have a few wines on the flight but at 7am I'm guessing that's a bit too early :) .....or maybe not!

Have you been before?

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

I am taking my 2 grandaughters on 16.12.12 flying from east midland on the santas day trip I am also worried about keeping them warm any one else in my position.

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

I am going on a day trip to lapland on 16.12.12.and taking my 2 grandaughters age 5 and 9 a bit worried about keeping them warm,what amount of money to take any ideas.? Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Have a look in the older posts (or use the search function) money matters have been dealtwith a number of times, as have also the clothing instructions, too :).

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

We done the santa Grotto day trip last weekend, it was amazing, much better than i had expected. I wore long johns, jeans and trainers, 2 T shirts and my leather coat and trainers. It was fine, it snowed when we arrived but was only -5C so not much colder than here.

At the outdoor area Thomsons provided everything, hats, scarfs socks, gloves ski suit and boots, really glad we didn't go out spending a fortune on clothes.

The trip was very well organised but very "commercial" and we had just about enough time to do everything available, explore the grotto, reindeer, husky and 2 snowmobile rides, 1 on a sledge towed by a guide and 1 self drive go, they were "taster" rides and not that long, the snowmobile was maybe 10 mins, the others maybe 3 mins but good fun.

Have a great trip, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Sue, if you look at the current forecast it looks like it may be around only -10C or so. We have fabulous winter weather right now.

Stoke on trent
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Going on the Search for Santa day trip on 21st December also from East Midlands, so any tips from anyone travelling beforehand would be much appreciated. Sooooo excited

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone else going with Thomsons on 16th Dec???

Hope you all have a wonderful time-you must be so so excited!!

I'm going next year and already excited.Goodness knows what I'll be like next Dec!!!