We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-package trip over xmas 2013

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Non-package trip over xmas 2013

We have decided to not use any of the travel operators to visit Saariselka over Xmas 2013. Originally we were going to book on a package tour but have found great value flights and I have always just booked flights and accommodation independently for our other holidays so I'm not too daunted. Any advice any one could offer would be great.

We'll need to sort out transfers from the airport, thermal clothes hire and trips. Santa is a must because hopefully my daughter will still be a believer at 7 yrs!

We want to do all the usual but 3-4 hour excursions in the cold may be a bit too long for her. I think I've read somewhere that you can book Inghams trips even if not travelling with them, does anyone know if this is the case?

We are likely to book a self catering cabin so again, any advice about food shopping, eating out would be good.

When looking at a package we were going to book with the Holiday Club, just for the pool to be honest. Can we pay to use this anyway?

Thanks everyone in advance for any tips.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-package trip over xmas 2013

This would be your one stop shop: http://www.saariselka.com/?set_language=en .There's a bus transfer from/to the airport meeting every scheduled flight: saariselka.com/individual/travelling/airport… .

You should be able to book with Inghams even if you're not travelling with them. Just have a look on the Inghams notices/folders in the hotels to find out where you can meet/reach their reps. Their own customers will naturally have priority, but they'll fill up vacant places with anyone willing to pay :) .

All services (shops, restaurants etc.) are mainly in the centre of Saariselkä. See a map of the Saariselkä village at saariselka.fi/sisalto/…saariselan-kylakartta

Cottage areas and their locations to each other are marked on a map here: saariselka.com/sijainti/saariselan-mokkialue… .

You can pay for the use of spa separately if you're not staying in the Holiday Club: holidayclubresorts.com/resorts/… .

The ski bus connects some of the cabin areas to the centre of Saariselkä at least twice a day: www.saariselka.com/tiedostopankki/SkiBus/ .

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-package trip over xmas 2013

Thank you. It all looks pretty straight forward and I feel much more excited now I can tailor every thing to suit us!

3. Re: Non-package trip over xmas 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2014, 06:18