We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursions when not part of a package

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Excursions when not part of a package

Hi all, I've been looking at trips to Saariselka for myself and a friend and I could use some advice.

We would be flying in to Ivalo by the look of it. I'm wondering if it is easy to get from Ivalo airport to Saariselka? Is there a bus? Or is it a case of using a taxi?

Also it is easy to book excursions when not part of a package? We would really like to do husky sledding, cross country skiing, a snow shoes hike, snowmobiles and maybe a reindeer activity (don't know if it's sledding as well?)

I'm just a bit worried that we would get there and not be able to book anything because we haven't come as part of a package. If they are booked independently, does anyone have any idea of a rough price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

there is a bus that picks up when the flights come in but also, its not far from saariselka so a taxi is affordable

as for excursions, you can book them when you are there, there are lots of places to do this and you could also try booking with the local inghams reps too as you may find them cheaper - there is a free sledge slope so you can use this with the free sledges that are about the place (usually outside the hotels) - you wont have any issues getting the excursions booked, not sure of the cost but if you go to saariselka.fi you will find all the info there and if you do a sudo booking with inghams you can then see how much their trips are in comparison (go through the booking process to get to the optional extras)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

Hi I noticed you are from Manchester - can I just ask where you have found a 'flight only' deal? I've been to safaris elks twice as part of a package but would rather do it independently now were comfortable with it but can't get direct flights unless we go with Thomson or Inghams.

Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

No flights only, I believe they are flying Manchester - Helsinki - Ivalo on Finnair.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

We booked flights independently with Finnair from Manchester via Helsinki. Just over £600 for the three of us over Xmas.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

Cheers will check it - will have to be next year now though :-(

6. Re: Excursions when not part of a package

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17