We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Insurance

Runcorn, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Insurance

Going to snowflake hotel Saariselka on the 18th of December , for 4 nights with Thomson, not sure about which insurance to book, Thomson said we would be covered for the activities included in the holiday but not tobogganing with there normal insurance, and would need winter sports cover at £89 , can anyone advise please

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Insurance

We're going to Snowflake with Thomsons too earlier in Dec,I've bought insurance with full winter sports cover with coversure(axa) for 4 people for £43.Have a look at compare the market for quites-make sure you tick the winter sports cover option

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Insurance

Hi, I've just booked my insurance for £26 for a family of 6 with comparethemarket.com and argos as it was more than sufficient for what we need and it covers everything including tobogganing and excess was very low too!

Runcorn, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Insurance

Thank you both so much, think I was shocked that the normal insurance didn't cover tobogganing, as you can use them at the hotel! Compare the market it is. Anne I would love to here how your holiday goes, when you get back 😊

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Insurance

Hmm, tobogganing (apart from competitive sledding) for sure is not classified as winter sports in Finland. Normal outdoor activity.

New England, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Insurance

We got the winter sports free with virgin, but quite honestly unless you do the snow Mobil Safari, the sledgings not much different to here, but it's worth having the extra cover

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Insurance

Polarbearfin,

Perhaps in Finland it is not classed as winter sports, but here, after checking what the policy covers, you MUST take out winter sports cover for sledging and even walking in the snow..... that is classed as Nordic walking in the policy.

Basically if I was to slip and fall and break a leg on the walk down to Ruka village and I didn't have winter sports cover they would not pay out.

Ladies:

Don't forget to get a European health card and take it with you as it is important you have it should you need treatment. Everyone in your group will need one!

Have a fabulous time :)

New England, North...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Insurance

Thanks, you've really done your homework, didn't think about falling over and it was very slippery coming out of the airport.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Insurance

Makes me smile to think one is required to take an insurance for Nordic Walking... :) Nordic Walking is not "walking on snow", but a kind of outdoors activity where you go walking with special walking poles. They are similar to skiing poles but shorter. Looks a bit stupid but is a good full body exercise. Recommended for eldery but used by athletes also.

And an isurance for tobogganing... Would understand if it was for sports (those Olympic events like bobsleigh, luge or skeleton), but simple tobogganing is just spending time outside. Well, different insurance companies - different policies I guess.

But European Health Insurance Card should cover you for both tobogganing and nordic walking at least in Finland. The card is free and gives you the same state provided cover and benefits as we have. And as Polarbearfin mentioned tobogganing not really considered a sport here. State health care not completely free, there is a small fee but it's just a few tenners at most. But with insurance you can always choose a private doctor which might be a good choice especially with sports injuries.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Insurance

:) cultural differences :)

Many elderly actually use Nordic walking poles here to walk steadier on icy streets.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Insurance

I must admit i was very tempted to not bother with "winter sports" cover!

I got away with just a couple of fractured ribs after crashing the snowmobile in January.

I didn't go to the hospital because they can't do anything for that. But, even if tobogganing isn't classed as a sport from a Finnish point of view, the insurance company would say different if i had another silly accident.

I totally agree with it not being a sport but a leisure activity, same as walking. But again should i slip and hurt myself they will quibble that i was "Nordic walking"