We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to prevent chapped face?

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How to prevent chapped face?

We are travelling to Saariselka on 4 December and wondered what we should bring with us to prevent our 5 year old daughter from getting a chapped face (sore cheeks) while she is out?

Many thanks

CA

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

A scarf. Do not use any creams or ointments befor before going out. Bare dry skin will endure coldness much better than a skin "protected" with cream...

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

If she otherwise has a healthy skin nothing more special than a good hat and a balaclava. No creams. In cold your skin doesn't get dry. In fact when you get back inside after spending a good time out in cold, your face feels soft and refreshed. That's the secret of our good looks - in cold you preserve well... :)

Frostbites you can have, but unless it's extremely cold it's usually the combination of cold and wind. With a 5 year old I don't think you are going to long safaris, ski trips or winter biking. Or spend extended periods outside. Dry skin is more vulnerable to frostbites, but still don't use creams. In cold they can do more damage than good. Avoid washing your face with soap especially in the morning before going out. If necessary, you can put some cream on in the evening.

But if you absolutelu persist putting some cream on, apply some Vitalis about half an hour before stepping outside. Vitalis is an old Finnish brand, and is known to work in cold.

Should be available in most stores in a yellow and red case. Looks like this:

huulirasvariippuvuus.com/blog/…Vitalis.png

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

The secret in Vitalis Vedetön is that it does not contain any water. Water of a face cream will freeze on your skin which will cause worse frost bites than bare skin would have had.

CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

Thank you very much for the good advice Zam and PasiRoii I especially appreciated the link to the picture. I am trying to make sure that this is a happy and memorable trip for my little girl. Best wishes to you both Colin

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

its the same as vasaline so you can take that instead

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

Yep, basically same petroleum product as vaseline plus some other ingredients that makes Vitalis smell like childhood... :)

No water in it, so in that regard it's safe to use in winter, but still better to apply it a good while before going out. A layer of cream can give you a false sense of not feeling well enough when the frost is starting to bite - and after it has bitten, you don't feel it anymore as your skin goes numb.

But as long as your face isn't freshly washed, soft and oil-free, it is suprisingly tough and resistant to coldness. Chapping lips can be a problem for many, but suitable lip salve sold everywhere.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 23:37
CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

That is really helpful to know as I've been searching unsuccessfully for Vitalis! I'll get some Vaseline asap. Thank you.

8. Re: How to prevent chapped face?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:18