We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

Has anyone been on the snowmobile trip with Thomsons in Saariselka? I'm interested in the night one looking for the Northern Lights.

I've looked at North Village and there isn't much difference in price although I believe this one would be longer and with less people on the trip. Just not sure if I can manage to get a suitable date to fit round other trips whereas if I go with Thomsons they will do all that.

It's £201 for 2 of us and is a lot but wondered if anyone who had been on it thought it was good value for money.Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

Have you checked also booking directly with one of the companies (North Village is "only" a booking agent)? See e.g.

http://www.laplandsafaris.com/en/

…saariselka.fi/topsafaris/…weeklyprogram

saariselka.fi/huskyco/snowmobilesafaris.html

saariselka.fi/luontoloma/english/index.html

www.saariselka.fi/joikukotsamo/eesittely.html

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

that's great zam thank you. I'll have a look at them

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

I think the thomsons one is actually run by lapland safaris. When we tried to book direct with them in resort, lapland safaris refused to take our booking as they have deals with Thomson to go through them! We went 16 dec and no one we met saw the lights so I'm not sure I'd be booking any trip purely to see the lights.

I'd recommend top safaris as they were a fab company though we only did their husky trip. Their timetables are online. I'd only plan for one excursion per day as its exhausting and very cold for the kids to be exposed for so long. We met two families who'd booked two in one day and really regretted it as the cold is more severe on the excursions. My kids refused to sledge after the huskies (too cold despite four layers under suit,) and it was only -9!

All the excursions are a similar price but after talking to other Thomson guests, the local tour operators offered much better value for money e.g our husky trip was almost 2 hours driving whereas thomsons was 40 mins for the same price and excursion duration.

Can't believe how quick it's come round for you Anne, have a fantastic time!!,

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

Thanks for your reply Kittykatty-it's good to hear from you :) Can't believe 12 months has come round so quickly.

I really can't decide what to do. We fly out on a Weds so assuming the Santa activity resort day is on the Thursday. I've booked the Elf Adventure for just me and my son- It's awkward as I don't know if that will be on the Friday or Saturday. If I knew it was definitely Friday I could book an extra excursion for saturday but reluctant as Idon't know for sure. I've emailed the Thomson resort but they've not got back to me yet.

I've heard it's better value for money to go to TopSafaris but torn between night snow mobile for just 2 adults or day husky for all 4 of us on Saturday.Decisions decisions :)

Did I see you weregoing out again this year kittykatty?

5. Re: Snowmobiling in Saariselka with Thomsons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2014, 05:17